Internet Horology Club 185
Time Ball Pocket Watch (Swiss Fake)

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2121060351/m/483105402

November 30, 2009, 19:54
Jerry King
Time Ball Pocket Watch (Swiss Fake)
What can the experts tell me about this watch...?

I can't find anything that says "Time" Ball at all....

Mayby it is a swiss fake, I don't know....

The photos to follow....

Regards,
Jerry

November 30, 2009, 19:55
Jerry King
The Movement

November 30, 2009, 20:32
Tom Brown
Jerry

It is Swiss, I don't know if you noticed the Sandoz Swiss marks below the balance cock. It looks like the balance wheel is uncut & it would more than likely be considered a fake I would guess.

Tom
November 30, 2009, 20:36
Tom Brown
Also Jerry, if you check out this post of some Ball information I posted about Ball Time Special fakes you will notice that the serial number on the watch you posted is the same number as the one they examined back then.

In looking at Swiss fakes it seems that serial number was used over & over on a lot of Swiss Fakes.

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...21060351/m/492103401

Tom
December 01, 2009, 11:38
Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
Yes, the Time Ball Special is one of the better-known Swiss fakes and of course they had nothing whatever to do with the Ball Watch Company.

Here we are a hundred years later people are still being taken in by these fakes.

Best Regards,

Ed
December 01, 2009, 22:40
Jerry King
Thanks for the info Tom & Ed....I thought it was a fake and this one is not on eBay but on another auction site that I receive notices from time to time....It is called 'Seized Property Auction' and supposedly has a lot of items that have been seized by the government and other agencies....

Thanks, again....

Regards,

Jerry
December 31, 2009, 13:28
Bill Kapp
These caused some confusion on the railroads also!

http://books.google.com/books?...0c%20ball%22&f=false

happy hunting,
September 07, 2018, 09:15
Edward A. Huston
Another example. This thread came up when I started looking for info on it. I thought the "Swiss" mark was just part of the chip until I looked close. This one is in a Waltham coin case but no pics of the movement or serial number.

September 07, 2018, 16:32
Lindell V. Riddle

Ed,

If you can stop the sale or return, these are of no real value.

Call me if I can be of help. Wink

And everyone,

Please understand that TIME BALL SPECIAL is a SWISS FAKE of no real value. Above in this topic it is explained that vast quantities of them have the SAME stamped-out movement number.

These "watches" were sold on the street or in variety stores to unsuspecting buyers who recognized the BALL name as being associated with quality. Problem is, both then and now people are fooled into thinking they know more than the seller.

When you think you are smarter than the seller that is when you are being fooled, you think... "Oh, what a great buy" ...and you are reeled-in. There is a story above about a man buying one on the street to help a man and a boy with travel expenses. A SCAM!

Look at a post above from the late Bill Kapp showing the warnings. There are even sad stories of the family of a Railroad employee giving him one of these as a gift. He then takes it to the Time Inspector who of course immediately rejects the watch.

This is why we post pictures of GENUINE BALL WATCHES and provide "Avoiding the Pitfalls of On-Line Trading" so you can ask questions before you buy.

We are always here to help you.

Lindell

Wink

September 10, 2018, 15:20
Edward A. Huston
Hi Lindell.
I'm not sure if it will do any good, but I've contacted the seller and told them the story. I've asked them to take down the listing and if they won't or can't, I've asked them to pass on this information to the winner. Hopefully, if nothing else, the winner will not try to sell it themselves down the road. There is still over a day left on the auction, so I'll keep fingers crossed!
November 09, 2018, 21:51
Kevin Hoffman
I am starting to collect these swiss fakes , if anyone has one let me know , I am not looking for free , but will not pay huge sums either , I would also like the waltham fakes