Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Ladies Ball Watch Questions "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 48
Picture of Keith Klimkowicz
posted
Hi

I just received this ladies ball watch in the mail. Nice little watch serial Number 19093280 and measures less than an inch in diameter. It is housed in a Crecent 25 year case with a swivel crown and bow. It is a open face watch with a seconds bit. The dial is nice and labeled "Ball Watch Co. Cleveland".

Could you Ball experts tell me more about this watch?

I will post some pictures, if I can get good pictures of this small watch.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Posts: 856 | Location: North Ridgeville, Ohio USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Sounds very unusual Keith.

At first I thought you had an Open-Face Ball Queen, but the number is too high and it evidently is not a Queen as an 0-size Ball Queen movement alone measures more like one and an eighth inch in diameter.

Yours may use a Waltham movement number which the Queens did not. Researching the number from your movement, it would apparently be a "Jewel-Series" which I believe is a 6/0 size in the Waltham-made "Ruby" grade and according to the listings may be a 17-Jewel example. If my guess and that preliminary information is correct you have found a very uncommon watch.

Below, an image Pete Paiscik shared with us a couple years ago that may be similar to yours. The example Pete found fronted an incorrectly signed as "Waltham" metal dial. Since it was an Open-Faced movement converted to Hunter configuration (meaning 3 rather than 12 at the crown) for use in a wristwatch that conversion involved loss of the fourth-wheel pinion which eliminated having a seconds hand.

Pete's watch was earlier and set up as a wristwatch...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 48
posted
Picture 1

Posts: 856 | Location: North Ridgeville, Ohio USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 48
posted
Picture 2

IHC Member 48
posted
Picture 3

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Thanks for the pictures Keith,

Let's begin this time with additional information about Pete's number 5254804 which shows up on Ball listings as a Ball-Waltham "Jewel-Series" run numbered B254701-B254900 indicating that only 200 numbers for those were blocked during 1911 production. From your pictures that movement is identical to yours.

Digging further into your watch, according to the Ehrhardt Waltham Book your 19093280 is from a run of 500 consisting of 19093001-19093500 during what appears to be 1914 production. Unless I'm missing something your number does not show up in the Ball listings but clearly is among that run of 500 Waltham "1912 Model" and "Jewel Series" which were designated as "Ruby" Grade 17-Jewel Movements. How many or perhaps better yet, how few of that or any of the other runs of Waltham Jewel Series were finished as Ball Watch Company products remains to be seen. Let's see if anyone else comes up with additional information.

The more I look into this, the more I am convinced that you found a very uncommon watch.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 48
posted
Linn

Thanks for the information on the ladies Ball watch.

Take a look at this Ebay item. Here is the same movement but it is a Waltham and labeled RUBY on the movement. Serial number 19028410 is shown.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Scarce-solid-14K-Gold-Waltham-2-sta...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

IHC Member 48
posted
Well after all these years I found a 6/0 ball case.

How rare do you think a 6/0 Ball marked case is.

All comments welcome.

Keith