• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Ball watch with factory defect? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi I'm a new member and I'm looking for info on my Ball R.R. Standard 17j 16s watch. It looks like someone stamped the "B" over the first number of the serial number as seen [on right below] in photo.

Posts: 5 | Location: Belleville, Michigan in the USA | Registered: January 25, 2012
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Welcome Bill,

You have a very interesting Ball-Waltham number B204026 from 1904 production. This movement was struck with regular Waltham production number 204026 and then the "B" prefix would have been struck separately, clearly the workman was "off" a bit when he applied the B-prefix.

Factory errors like this one always bring a smile to my face Smile and remind me of my years in the automobile business. A couple times we were delivered a new Plymouth with a Dodge emblem on one side. I expect these errors were bleary-eyed Eek Monday morning events.

Thanks for sharing your remarkable watch.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Thank You for the info. Bill

Posts: 5 | Location: Belleville, Michigan in the USA | Registered: January 25, 2012
posted
Very interesting Bill,
Has anyone else had a watch marked like this? It would have me thinking that with the limited number of "ball" watches and the rarity of one leaving the factory, this could be one of a kind?

That's a funny story Lindell, sounds like more than one person had the Monday morning bleary eyes to have missed that one

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
posted
How about this for a Monday morning job? Big Grin
The rest to be seen here
IWC Jones Cal. H. Burns

My WWW collection is now complete, time to look for new ventures!

Posts: 699 | Location: Hannover in Germany | Registered: July 23, 2009
posted
Werner,
I think someone was just goofing off with that one Big Grin

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006