Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Latest Watch Fix "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
Hi All,
I recently picked up a Hamilton 992B that had seen water and was a bit rusty.
I decided to try and bring it back to life but after a bit of investigation I found it too expensive to get the wholesale parts needed to get it running again. So I decided to get a movement, Dial, Hands and a bow to at least get another watch back running again.
The first images are of the watch how I received it and the others are of the finished project.
I hope I haven't crossed the line in doing this but its better than having it sit in a drawer never seeing the light of day.

Posts: 340 | Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia | Registered: September 10, 2009
Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
Rusty Movement

Posts: 340 | Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia | Registered: September 10, 2009
Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
Finished project
#1 image

Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
#2 image

Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
I was hoping to add a couple more images but I have put them in another post elsewhere on this web page. Sorry about that.
Gary

Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
And I was hoping to see those wheels and barrel bridge clean .Where are those pictures?

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Yea, I'd like to see what you've done with the original movement too.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
The original movement is still in pits and needs more parts to make it a worthy goer again but don't get to concerned as I will bring it back once I get the parts.
Sorry for misleading you.
When I get home tonight i'll show what I have so far.
Cheers
Gary

Picture of Gary Dutton
posted

Picture of Gary Dutton
posted

Picture of Gary Dutton
posted

Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
This image shows some of the parts that were rusted or broken.

posted
Nice work Gary.

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
All Hamilton 992B's are "exchange parts watch's" if you will !! So I can't see anyone being upset with changing out parts on one. There is only one serial number on the entire movement. All 992B parts were made to interchange with each and every 992B ever made. It was so successful that over half a million were made and many thousands are still on the market today after the last ones were made some 45 years ago.

Unfortunately as Gary found out, the sum of the total parts exceeds the value of the finished watch. That holds true for every watch ever made. So you can save yourself money by always buying nice complete working examples.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
Here is a list of things that were rusty, broken or missing.
1. Dial Foot Screws (2) #649
2. Lever Shipper (1) #679
3. Lever Shipper Screw (1) #651
4. Cannon Pinion (1) #636
5. Escape Wheel Complete (1) #665
6. Centre Wheel (1) # 662
7. 4Th Wheel (1) #667
8. Pallet Fork Complete (1) #644
9. Staff (1) #659
10. Barrel Arbour (1) #609
11. Double Roller + Jewel Complete (1) #643
12. Click Spring (1) #655
As well as some more items that I found later
13. Hour wheel
14. Regulator.
15. Third wheel.
16. Dial and Hands.
17. Spring setting cap.

So as you can see by the parts list it will be a long haul and there maybe one or two more to add to the list as I start to put it back together.

Picture of Brian C.
posted
Gary, I'd keep that as a parts watch.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
Brian,
I tend to agree with you but I'm not one to let a movement just lay in a draw when it could be brought back to life. I'm not in it to make any money, I do it cause I love to bring them back to life and I probably have a sickness that is called 'Watch Collecting' which a lot of members out there have and I enjoy nice watches.
It may take me a while but it will be brought back into service again.
Cheers
Gary

Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
Hi All
Well the day has come and I have finished the restoration of the rusty 992B.
I finished putting it back together last night and it went back together without a hitch but and it start up after a bit of coke-sing but then as I started to fully wind it the main spring let go and that's where it stopped. I will be on the lookout for a mainspring but I have seen plenty of them on that auction sight.
I have included a couple of pictures of the watch back in is original case with a new dial and hands.
Thanks To Gary C. for all of his help in supplying the various parts needed to bring it back to life. I never looked at how much it cost as it was never about the money it was about bringing it back to life and to see if I could do it.
Cheers
Gary

Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
Back

Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
Movement

posted
Gary,
That is a spectacular job, and you did it for all the right reasons,I applaud you,
Bill

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
Thank you Bill, I know there are many out there that would say i'm crazy but I do it for the love of watches.

IHC Member 1357
posted
It is not always about the money. The satisfaction of a job well done is priceless!! Good job Gary

Roger

Posts: 4093 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
Well done, I've never attempted to restore anything that looked that far gone, kudos to you indeed.
Gary

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
posted
Well done!

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
A fine job Gary !!

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009