Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Keystone case questions "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Greg Campbell
posted
Picked this up a while back and have some questions.
What does the "C" [in the Keystone emblem] stand for? What year would the serial number 219278 put this case at? It’s such a clean case I’d like to possibly find an appropriate movement for it. What would have been in it originally? I tried to research this myself but didn’t come up with anything.

Posts: 116 | Location: Central Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 29, 2003
Picture of Greg Campbell
posted

Posts: 116 | Location: Central Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 29, 2003
posted
Hi Gregg , In the coin Keystone case they have a "C" [for Coin] but in the base metal case it is a Co [fpr Company]. As far as what fits you would need to measure the opening and look at the screw marks , most any movement will fit in an 18s or 16size with a few notable exceptions the 3 screw Elgin Convertible , the Waltham '88 and a few others I can't think of now. Maybe someone else will chime in on . When I see the hinged coin case I think older American movement ,but stem wound , Rockford , Hampden , Elgin.

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
posted
I have a 910 21j rockford r/g , in a similar Fahys coin case , from about 1899 , it appears original ,no other screw marks , but I would not think it would have a R/R grade movement in a hinge case , to much chance for dirt .

Picture of Greg Campbell
posted
That gives me a pretty good range to choose from. Have to find a nice movement to show off.

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
This case is fairly scarce. It is a double hinged back and front bezel case. it is as dust proof as any case from that era as long as the front glass bezel and rear glass bezel shut tight and there are no chips in the glass lens.

It begs for a great looking highly damaskeened, frosted, or two-tone movement that one can look at or show others without opening and exposing the movement.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
That is a very nice case. I have a few gold filled triple hing cases with see through dust covers. I love for the very reason Buster mentioned that you can see the movement without opening the dust cover. I can not see the old case screw marks so without knowing the position of the old marks I can not say what was in it. Also I can not tell if it is 16s or 18s. If it has no case screw marks it could be NOS and then you would have a lot of options on what to put in it. Just guessing I would think any movement from 1880 until 1900 would be safe. One other thing you need to consider is if it will accept a lever set or pendant set or both.

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
posted
Hey Gregg , where are the mounting screw locations , I think I see them at 25 and 45 , maybe a waltham 1883

Picture of Greg Campbell
posted
Haven’t posted pictures in forever here. Recently moved can’t find camera. Now I find it very hard to take good photos with iPhone. Oh, and picasa is gone. Anyway, hopefully these photos will show what this 18s will take. It appears to have hosted two other movements in its life. Also, dustband inside says, Keystone Dust Proof PAT,d MAR 10,68.
Guys I was really hoping just the serial number would answer my questions. Didn’t mean to drag this out. Thanks for all the help!

Picture of Greg Campbell
posted

posted
Gregg , To the best of my knowledge there are no records on cases , I cannot tell what was in there , the 2 lower look like waltham to me , the one at 25 and 50 could be hampden . Have fun !

IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
I would guess from this later example that the "C" just stands for "company".

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011