Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin 18s Model 1 hairspring question "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
Elgin 18s KW KS Model 1 SN 166505. The hairspring is over coiled. Should it be? I would think these old 1871 Elgin's would have used a flat hairspring. It appears that the hairspring guide pins are riding between the outside coil and the nest coil with an overcoil over the top of both. Too many coils in the hairspring? Regulator guide pins too long?

Thanks,
Harry

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
IHC Member 1947
Picture of Serge Barlas
posted
Hi Harry,

I checked some of my Elgin's and can share the following with you:

1. I have a KW/KS Ogden (190365) that has a flat coil hairspring and a regulator with long spring pins.This has a pinned National Watch Co. dial

2. I also have a very early BWR that has a pinned dial (approximately 2 million series) that has a over-coil hairspring and a regulator with short spring pins.

I Have several Elgin movements in the 3 to 4 million series that have flat hairsprings. I wonder if it has to do with the grade / class of the movement.

Kindest regards,

Serge

Posts: 276 | Location: Grand Ledge, Michigan in the USA | Registered: April 16, 2014
IHC Member 1610
posted
Thank you Serge. I guess it could have something to do with grade. I was told on a lot of the old solid steel balances were converted to split balances but I don't think you could convert a cock designed for a flat hairspring to a coil over. I can see where you could convert the balance.

I am sending it back. The overcoil hairspring just doesn't work with the watch. Thanks for checking Serge.

Harry

posted
The Grade 57 Wheeler is fitted with hairspring #793, which is flat. None of the Grade 57 variants, at any time, were fitted with a Breguet hairspring, and you made an excellent decision to return the watch.

Elgin Hairspring Part Listing

Posts: 49 | Location: Tennessee in the USA | Registered: February 20, 2012
IHC Member 1610
posted
Thank you Nathan I feel much better now.

Harry