• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Marion Watch Company, Marion, New Jersey "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Aloha, I have a United States Watch company watch, 18 size, KWKS, gilt, 11 jewels, serial number , 132662, in an original silver OF case, marked "Lafayette Journal", compensating balance. I would like to know if any other Marions with this annotation have surfaced as the Ehrhardt, Hanson Marion Watches book indicates that no watches in this serial number run are known to exist at the time of that printing, I have not been able to find that marking in any other serial number runs either.
Thank you in advance for any replies, mahalo, Fred

Posts: 106 | Location: Honolulu, Hawaii in the USA | Registered: June 12, 2016
posted
Fred , I did a look and there is little info , are you able to share a picture , send on to me at hoffmanhomekevin@gmail.com , and I will post it , if that helps

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
posted
Fred -

The publication Marion: A History of The United States Watch Company by Muir and Kraus estimates three runs of J.W. Deacon movements in proximity of your serial number:

130251-131275 [18s, 11j, Giles Patent]
132751-132800 [18s, 15j, Giles Patent]
133451-134150 [18s, 11j, Giles Patent]

It is reasonable to suggest your private label would be classified as a J.W. Deacon grade.

The authors also note that the United States Watch Company produced special order movements for a variety of businesses in the newspaper trade. However, there is no direct mention of "Lafayette Journal" in the examples provided.

Posts: 49 | Location: Tennessee in the USA | Registered: February 20, 2012
posted
Aloha, thank you very much for the responses. I very much appreciate the information. This watch is indeed an 11 jewel Deacon. I have not been able to find anyone who has seen the name of this newspaper on a Marion yet so I am suspicious that there were not many so marked. I will try to get a photo up shortly. But, mahalo, once again for the replies.

Posts: 106 | Location: Honolulu, Hawaii in the USA | Registered: June 12, 2016