WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Welcome Aboard IHC185™     Internet Horology Club 185    IHC185™ Discussion Site Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Horological Discussions, Questions and Answers  Hop To Forums  Pocket Watch Discussions    Some feedback from the watch collectors: restore a Hampden or not?
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Some feedback from the watch collectors: restore a Hampden or not? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Several years ago I bought a Hampden 16s 23j model 4 grade 104 movement. it was defined as missing some parts but I decided to take a chance the price was not bad. I decided it was about time to see if it was worth fixing, the movement is in beautiful condition, no corrosion, no screwdriver slips, the two toning is near mint. The only parts that I can find missing are the balance and each balance end jewels and it must have had a broken mainspring since it is missing. It appears to have all the screws except for one plate screw which I have been able to find a NOS golden screw to fit it.

My question is would anyone bother to restore it, I have a 17j parts model4 but that would mean the jewel sets would be brass vs gold and the balance not original and I hate the thought of buying a 21/23 movement just to grab the parts from it, comments welcome.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
posted
Hi Claude , you should post the serial , I believe the 23j Hampdens are truly hard to find . My vote is yes FIX IT

A quick search show 600 model 4's { ? } did I read it right
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...9104152/m/7431017672

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
posted
Hi Claude , I had sold some Hampden 16s parts to Doug Weaver a while back , he may have a balance

IHC Member 1650
posted
Claude

If you're looking for a double-roller balance, I can't help. I do have a couple of single-roller balances, though.

Doug

Posts: 373 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 17, 2011
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
I vote yes if it can be done economically. You don't see those 16s 23j Hampdens that much. I did the same thing with a Hamilton 939. It greatly reduces the value but you have the satisfaction knowing you save a watch.

My 2 cents,

Harry

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
posted
It isnt marked double roller so I am not sure it is but one would expect a 21j in that timeframe to be double roller.

posted
Claude is it missing the balance arm or the balance wheel ? If it is just the wheel you should be okay

IHC Member 1110
posted
Claude, I too think that would be worth doing,if it's a 2-tone it must be a model 4.It would be worth it to buy a McKinley 4th model 21J,there are a lot of them around,many times I've seen them for sale as a parts movement.It would have a balance with gold screws as on the 104. A 104 is just too nice to waste!

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Member 1110
posted
Claude, just thought of something else, the 104 may have had one of those huge raised gold jewel settings on the balance cock, like the model 5 104's and Railways have.That would probably be about impossible to find, or would have to be made.That may be the killer.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
posted
Ted actually it is basically complete, as far as I can speculate I would think the mainspring broke (missing) and somewhere along the way someone decided to use the balance and balance jewels. I have picked up new golden plate screws and such and proper jewel set screws (golden) but as you suggest to doing along with Harry is get a 21j parts movement.