• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Canadian Railway Watches "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I was reading with interest the various discussions on pocket watches and it got me thinking about my fathers watch. Decided to see if I could find out anything about it. And what to do you know there is all the info about it.

Posts: 5 | Location: Ontario in Canada | Registered: March 21, 2011
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hello Victor,

For that research, we will need the number that appears on the movement and anything else engraved thereon along with the markings you see stamped inside the case-back. That reference to your father, Everett B. Taylor shows a span of years, my presumption is those 44 years were his time on the Canadian Pacific Railway, if that is correct please share what information you can about his career. Many of us would find that quite interesting.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
This is the watch it number is 33868316, and it has the inscription BW Raymond in it.
My dad started on the B&B in the early twenties, became a Brakeman in Kerrobert around 1925 and worked sporadically until 1939. After 1928 he lived near Deslisle SK, and when he was called my mother would drive him the hundred or so miles to Kerrobert to work in an old Ford car. In 1939 at the start of the war he moved to Calgary and worked there for the rest of his career. He made Conductor in 1947, and retired in 1969 as second on the seniority list. He worked ever thing there was, and retired on the Calgary - Edmonton Dayliner. One of his greatest thrills was to take the Royal Train in Calgary in 1959.

posted
Very Interesting Information.

Posts: 61 | Location: Oak Island, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 06, 2017
IHC Member 1357
posted
Victor, according to the Elgin database 33868316 is grade 478 made in 1932.

Elgin Watch Collector's Database shows 185,400 produced.

These are great watches. I have 2 in my collection.

Roger

Posts: 4093 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
posted
My father came from PEI on a Harvest Special in the fall of 1920. He told of the fact that people were firing guns out of the windows as they were coming to the Wild West. I later read about these trains, and it makes Spring Break in Fort Lauderdale look like a church social.

posted
This watch is not a valuable watch, but it belonged to my Grandfather who came to Indian Head Saskatchewan in 1906 with his new wife and 2 brothers and 2 of his brother-in-laws. I have had the watch for many years and decided to look in to it. I was able to find that he bought it from a Jewelry store in Shoal Lake Manitoba sometime before 1910, as it moved to Laporte SK, to stake a new Homestead. The interesting thing that I found was that Reg Coulson had opened his store in 1896, and that he was still alive in 1956 at the age of 81. I came across a 1914 Mens Wear Review that stated he was an officer of the Retail Branch of the Merchants' Association of Canada at Transcona NB. I tracked down a descendant and offered them the watch, but they were not interested.