Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Ball-Hamilton "Single roller" markings "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1110
posted
Since we're on a roll with Ball watches, I have a question that's been bugging me for a long time.On some 18s, ( I think)Ball-Hamilton movements, they are proudly marked "SINGLE ROLLER".I've always wondered why Ball had that marking put on them, since Waltham had long before started using the much better double roller.Doesn't seem like a single roller on a railroad grade would be much of a selling feature.Was Webb Ball against double rollers too? Thanks!

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

The United States Watch Company was the earliest I am aware of, they marketed Double Roller Escapements in 1893 on their "The President" models. These pioneering movements were such fine timekeepers that they were guaranteed to keep time to within a variation of something less than six seconds a month. (NOTE: Follow the link above in this paragraph, then scroll-up to see some more U. S. Watch Company products.)

Other companies soon adopted the Double Roller feature to avoid "over-banking" which would cause a movement to suddenly stop if slammed abruptly, something that indeed could happen in the rough and tumble environment of a locomotive.

As I explained in 2003...

"Webb C. Ball is certainly one of the most intriguing characters we encounter in the study of watch and clock related items and materials. Today, many of us have come to recognize Ball for being a true merchandising genius and I would be willing to bet the only reason he had marked "Single Roller" movements produced was to be able to show a perceived as inferior watch in comparison the Double Roller versions he also had available for sale. Both then and now "trading-up" the customer can be a very successful marketing ploy."

CLICK FOR: Ball Marked "SINGLE ROLLER" 18s Watches

There is a mountain of information including our comprehensive database.

And look through the great topics in our exclusive "Ball Watch Company Research Forum"

Marked as "SINGLE ROLLER" Ball-Hamilton 170249 from my collection...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 1110
posted
Thanks again Lin, I should have searched it first, didn't realized this was discussed before. Take care, Ted.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
A few years back (many to be honest) I had the opportunity to purchase a single roller for almost nothing. It was at a flea market in El Centro, California. I passed at the time due to the fact it had a broken staff and the case was very brassy. This was in my very early stages of collecting and wanted a watch that ran And looked good. if I knew then as I know now I would have scooped it up. I have one in my collection of Ball watches but continue to kick myself at the one that got away..

Bruce Byrd

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002