Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

"Civil War Era Watches With Polished Tip Hands" "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1668
Picture of Donnie Tackett
posted
Just wanted to make a couple comments and get some input on early civil war era watch hands with the polished tips. I only found a couple posts here on the 185 concerning these "polished tip hands". I have been looking at a lot of CW era watches lately and occasionally I'll run across one with these polished hand tips.

I read a very good article on CW era watches that was very interesting. It talks about a lot of different aspects of these early watches as, windings, settings, movement finishes, cases and it also talks about some watches having spade hands, "often with bosses and polished tips." I'll add the link if someone would want to read it. "Civil War Talk".

Probably most here on the 185 already know about these hands but I didn't and I'm sure some others who read this will find it interesting as well. Any input or comments concerning these hands would be greatly appreciated.

I have posted a picture of a early Waltham model 1857 with these polished tip hands. Serial # is in the picture.

Thanks,
Donnie

Posts: 84 | Location: West Virginia in the USA | Registered: January 30, 2012
IHC Member 1063
posted
Donnie-

Interesting reading. I've never seen polished tips. I'll have to go home and take another look at my 57s.

Posts: 242 | Location: Massachusetts in the USA | Registered: February 07, 2008