• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Keystone Howard Info "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Anyone have any good info on this keystone howard? Everything looks to be a model 3, but they were all 17 jewel from what i can see. This one is 15 jewels and marked. Not marked adjusted or anything either. It is also earlier numbered than the earliest model 3 i can find by about 100 numbers. Sn870117. Any info would be appreciated...

Jared

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009
IHC Member 1555
posted
Not a Model 3 mate, is it pendant or lever set Jared and does it have the dial on it? I take it is a hunter in an open face case?

Posts: 2265 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
I have not personally seen any of the 15 Jewel prior to this one, I know they made them and also a 7 Jewel that was for export. It definitely is a hunter movement. From the serial number we can surmise that it was made in 1902. Let me dig and check......

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Member 1555
posted
My thoughts as well Buster with regard to this maybe an export model, the 7 jewel they made was a "Climax", it was in a gilt plate finish for the English market.

This I am sure is an early Series 2 3/4 Plate, from memory they called this damaskeening the "wide parallel bar". Also as you have said strange to see it in the 15 Jewel, so probably for export, very interesting example being in the 15 jewel configuration.

As well as these there is also a "narrow parallel bar" damaskeened series 2 model. Normally all these series 2's were 17 Jewel and a lot of them were factory adjusted to 5 positions, in both pendant & lever set versions.

Note the Hamilton type hairspring studding and the twin screw crown wheel, but nothing to do with them though.

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
There is a database on these that I ran across. There are 7 serial numbers known in it and they all are within about 65 numbers of each other.

They all are 15 Jewels, all hunter configuration, all with this same damaskeening pattern, all not marked adjusted, and all known have been pendant set.

[ IHC185 LIFE Member Ed Ueberall co-maintains the data base and deserves any and all the recognition. ]

regards,
bb

posted
It boasts a double sunk, 24 hour, Montgomery style dial. The dial is what attracted me to it in the first place. After looking at it for a while on the movement, the Hamilton characteristics caught my eye, then followed wondering about the 15 jewel as I couldn't find anything on a 15 jewel version. Its housed in a display case... I'll verify pendant set tonight, but guessing it is pendant set.

Jared

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009
IHC Member 1555
posted
A series 2 in 15 Jewel config, to my knowledge the serials on Ed's and his fellow Researcher's database and this one here falls with in the known runs of the 17 jewel series 2's.

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Since it's a pretty scarce watch and since it has a high grade 24 hour dial to boot, I would look for an EHoward Co Keystone marked H/C for it.

regards,
bb