• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin 18 size full plate pocket watch markings "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
On the topic about Elgin 348s which are full plate models I know many parts have serial number markings such as the pillar plate, balance (arm area) and other plates but on the Elgin is the barrel bridge plate marked with a serial number?

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Usually they are Claude, but careful removal of two screws retaining the Barrel Cover can pretty easily answer your question on a particular movement.

Exceptions that immediately come to mind can include 18 size Private Labels, including many Canadian Pacific and occasionally Ball Watch Company 18 size movements. Usually every component is marked during assembly but after it reaches the retailer... that is anybody's guess.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 1110
posted
Claude, I took a barrel plate off a grade 74 11J
18s movement, and it was serial numbered. It isn't just a thin top cover, but thick, heavy piece , would have taken a lot of machining to make and finish it.Hope this helps, Ted.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
posted
In the factory notes for the 149, they said the ones taken off were discarded and I thought they might have recycled them but with the serial number that could not have happened since the serial number would be problematic and changing it would not have been easy to hide.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009