Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Early Waltham Dial "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1668
Picture of Donnie Tackett
posted
Hi

Just one more quick Waltham question, I promise, for a while anyway. Smile The picture below shows two early Waltham dials somewhere in the 1860's.The dial on the left has the "American Watch Co" writing on the dial which I assume come's original from the factory. I also see quite a few early civil war era watches with the plain dial that is pictured on the right. Just wanted to know if the plain dial on the right is considered a replacement dial or is it considered as coming from the factory plain as seen below?

I also want to thank everyone for the answers given in my previous posts.

Donnie

Posts: 84 | Location: West Virginia in the USA | Registered: January 30, 2012
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
pocket watch manufacturers were constantly changing their dials. They changed them for different models and different years. I do not know the answer to your question but I believe either dial could have been original to the movements.

Harry

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
posted
Hi Donnie , Many collectors feel that the dial is half of the watch , some models like the Ball's , Sangamo , Bunn's -the correct dial can make or break the value , much like the case .

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
IHC Member 1555
posted
Some of the earlier lower grade Waltham key winds, i.e "Home Watch Co" grade Donnie had unmarked dials. Waltham was not the only Company to do thisSmile

Posts: 2265 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
I consider any 1857 model watch before #180,000. Should have a dial with no markings on them. You have to dig into Walthams history. To pinpoint when American Waltham would be correct.

Because they changed owners so often in the beginning.

Every pre- civil war era I have owned does not have a name on them.

My earliest is 4243 which is marked Denison Howard Davis

In my opinion the one on the left that is marked American Watch Co would be a replacement dial.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Donnie,
Check this web site from Ron Price, there is a lot of info on Model 57's

http://www.pricelessads.com/m57/index.html

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008