WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

balance wheel relationship to roller table jewel orentation "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Here goes watch fans, bear with me if i do not use proper nomenclature as it relates to watches..
I am about to replace the balance staff for a RR watch with a double roller. viewing the enclosed picture of exactly as removed from the piece. Note the orientation of the roller table/jewel to the 2 spokes of the balance wheel. I was told to properly orientate the jewel perpendicular to the spokes of the balance wheel for disassembly. Right or wrong is the question?
Please advise before disassembly.....

Posts: 30 | Location: Evergreen, Colorado in the USA  | Registered: January 21, 2018
IHC Member 1555
posted
not the caseSmile

Posts: 2260 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
posted
Thanks Bila from down under in that great country of Australia.

Posts: 30 | Location: Evergreen, Colorado in the USA  | Registered: January 21, 2018
posted
I thought the same , could you elaborate Bila ?

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
IHC Member 1555
posted
Roller jewel can be placed in any position from the Factory Kevin, as long as the balance has been poised for that position it is fine.

A lot of untouched early Full Plate 18 Size American movements you find do have the roller table jewel pointing along the Balance arm, the 16 Sizes are different. On the 16 Size Watches a lot of roller table jewels are normally pointed at a Temperature compensating screw as are a lot of 18 size watches with a straight line escapement (later models).

This was mostly done for the aesthetics value of the balance look in relation to the balance cock position.

posted
Thank you Bila , I just try to put it back where it was

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
IHC Member 1555
posted
quote:
I just try to put it back where it was

I think pretty much what most people do Kevin, just to hopefully keep the poise close.

Picture of Brian C.
posted
I scratch the underside of the balance so I'll remember where to put the roller back on.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
IHC Member 1650
posted
I usually use a marking pen to mark the position of the hairspring stud on the top and the roller jewel on the bottom. When the balance is reassembled, I can remove the marks with naphtha.

Posts: 370 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 17, 2011