Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hallmark question "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Greetings all.
I'm attaching a picture of a hallmark that I would love some help identifying. These are the only two pictures that I have so I tried to clean them up and sharpen them as much as I could. Any ideas? I've found a number of different animal hallmarks but nary a deer in sight. It's on an open face Elgin and you can see some reflection of the engraved cuvette in the first picture. Any thoughts or comments would be much appreciated.
Happy Easter everyone!

Posts: 257 | Location: Worthington, Ohio in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2005
IHC Life Member
posted
B.W.C. Co. is Brooklyn Watch Case Company.

I have a picture from an ad. It's a little fuzzy being a copy of a copy.

Steve

Posts: 692 | Location: Washington in the USA | Registered: May 23, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
Here's some more on B.W.C.Co.

"The Brooklyn Watch Case Co. Hayden W. Wheeler formed the Brooklyn Watch Case Co. on March 10, 1873 to devise methods for the mass production of watch cases. Joseph Fahys was one of the original directors of the company. The company started out by making gold and silver cases, but production of the silver cases eventually ceased. 18-karat and 14-karat cases were made in some quantity prior to the firm moving to Warren St, near Fourth Ave. in Brooklyn. Brooklyn made gold-filled cases, and 14-karat solid gold cases, but is perhaps best known for its line of Eagle solid 8K gold cases. However, Brooklyn offered a Variety of Grades. Sometime in the late 1890s or early 1900s, Brooklyn was bought out by Joseph Fahys & Co., a major watch case company who had been listed in Brooklyn ads since 1896 as their selling agent. Joseph Fahys acquired Brooklyn prior to Wheeler's retirement in 1891, by which time the firm was producing 75,000 cases per year. An October 1898 Fahys ad proclaimed Fahys the successor to Brooklyn, owning all of Brooklyn's trade marks. Fahys thus continued to use the Brooklyn name and trade marks."

Hope this helps.

Steve

IHC Life Member
Picture of Donald Trumble
posted
Well done Steven,

Kudos and regards to you!

Excellent presentation of the history.

Don

Posts: 504 | Location: Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: April 02, 2005
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks, Don, It's just some info I found when I was looking for something about my Granger case.

Steve

posted
Wow, thanks Steven. I agree with Donald. Well done! That is exactly what I was looking for. That is some great detective work. I couldn't find anything even close so I greatly appreciate the information. With luck, by this time next week I can have a better picture to share.
I hope you gentlemen have a great holiday weekend!
Ed

Posts: 257 | Location: Worthington, Ohio in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2005
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks, Ed. I'll be waiting to see photos of your watch and case.

Happy Easter to all!

Steve

posted
This may be a silly question, but I'm going to ask it anyway. It looks like this hallmark signifies a case that has 8k inside and 14k outside. Does this qualify as "solid gold" for most people? I realize that true solid gold is 24k so I didn't know what collectors think about this combination. Is it worth going after for a premium or is this just considered kind of a lower end case?

IHC Life Member
posted
Ed,
I've often wondered about that, too.
The only thing I can think of is, there would be little change in color where the outer layer was worn away, and it would be a little more dent resistant than solid 14k or 18k gold.
At this date I think condition matters more than content.

Just my 2 cent's worth.
Here's my Granger case, 14K over 8k.

Steve

posted
Well Steven, no pictures. Some evil ne'er do well rat fink waited until the end of the auction, jumped the price by $200.00 and sniped me out at the last minute. Obviously, I'll live, I'm just disappointed. But thanks for all the information. I'm keeping it in the memory banks for next time!
Ed