Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

A silly question, I'm sure....but.... "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
A silly question, I'm sure....but....

...other than the roller table, are parts from a single and double roller Hamilton 940 interchangable?

Regard! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Member 1650
posted
The balance staff and pallet are different.

Posts: 370 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 17, 2011
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Thanks, Douglas.

77 views and only one reply tells me it MUST have been a dumb question. Ah well, my apologies. Not all of us are watchmakers and just don’t know these things.
I’ll continue my research on the question elsewhere.
Thanks.

Dr. Debbie/Lindell, you can delete this thread if you want.

Regard! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
Mark I’m in the process of moving so I can not locate me watch movement parts book.
You might get a better response if you ask a specific question about a watch par is interchangeable. Example;if a 4th wheel from a single roller watch will work in a double roller watch.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
Mark I seriously doubt it. A 18s Hamilton has one of 4 balance staffs to choose from. the 127LC, 127SC, 126LC, and the 126SC. The 127LC and 127SC are for the single roller. The 126LC and 126SC are for the double rollers. LC is Large Collet and SC stands for Small Collet. So first and foremost you need to know if you have a large collet or a small collet in order for the hairspring to fit. Then that would leave you with a 127 and the 126. If in my opinion if you could use a 127 (single roller) in place of a 126 (double roller) then there would not have been any reason for Hamilton to have two different parts. If you could swap them then you would only need to know whether to use a LC or a SC. So I am going to say no they are not interchangeable but I am by no means an expert.

Now Hamilton staffs are pretty common. All you need to know is whether you need a LC or a SC and the pivot size to find the correct staff.

Harry

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
IHC Member 1338
posted
This is precisely why I never had an urge to work on watches. That is for the repair dept and qualified watchmakers.

Mark I dont think that ? was dumb at ALL. maybe the reason few answered is they didn't KNOW the answer.

All I know is anything above 525000 or so is a double roller

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
IHC Member 2067
Picture of Paul Davis
posted
Hello Mark, as to your question, which there is never a dumb question, because that's how we all learn, but to the point no, they are not the same, nor will they be interchangable, some other parts besides the balance and it's parts are interchangable, hope this helps also..

Paul Davis

Posts: 672 | Location: Missouri in the USA | Registered: May 01, 2015
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Thank you all for your replies. Yes, this does give me answer I was looking for.

Regards! Mark