WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

16s Hamilton Hands QUESTION - Models & Time Period "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Clark Reed
posted
I have noticed many different types of 16 size Hamilton hands on pocket watches that have crossed my path over 59 years of admiration and ownership. Most were either Blue or Black - - but then there have been some Plum color hands too. Many styles - Spade, Pointer, Moon, Spear, Open Kite, Closed Kite, and a few "Luminous" on occasion.
My question is: Did Hamilton "RESTRICT" certain styles or colors to Railroad Approved Watches and some to the variety of dress, military, everyday utilitarian watches carried by the general public.
I have notice VERY FEW open-Closed Kite hands and and the relative scarcity of PLUM COLOR hands of ANY STYLE. I will send all replies a couple email photos of my old 1940 Ford Ragtop as a thank you....

Clark Reed

Posts: 531 | Location: Anderson, South Carolina in the USA | Registered: April 09, 2013
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Clark,

The hands on Hamiltons often varied to go with a particular dial. This was true in most instances up until the 1940 introduction of the 992B which would have either deep blue or charcoal gray hands.

Of course, even in the "B" era the black-dialed 4992B would fitted with white hands to provide contrast, again the style of dial determining which hands would be installed.

The "Open-Kite" hands you mentioned were used on some 992B movements when shortage of materials occurred during the World War and some of those were 'PLUM' colored.

Also, in the 1942-43 time-frame they even had to use cases that were never shown in catalogs or specifically advertised but carried a Hamilton Watch Company signature they are quite rare and at times controversial.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Clark Reed
posted
Lin - Thank you for this info. I would think that Hamilton would have used whatever they had to finish a watch... much like Henry Ford did with his auto production runs. There is an old story in Dearborn that when the different colors besides light and dark black came into vogue in the late 1920's, dealers were concerned that they would have a car that was unsold - solely because of color at the end of the model year. Ford told all his dealers that he would give a 10% rebate on any remaining unsold inventory AFTER the new year introduction - - with the simplest of marketing messages:
My wonderful dealers: Please accept the 10% cost rebate as my thanks for being our sales agents, and be assured that this reduction in cost will produce the results intended --- SALES OF NEW FORDS ! ! ! ! The additional financial incentive will prove what I have believed all along --- There's an *** for every seat !

Clark Reed

Posts: 531 | Location: Anderson, South Carolina in the USA | Registered: April 09, 2013