• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

photographing pocket watches "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have a post on watch photography with 0 views, thought I would re-post here in hopes of some advice.

I am considering several Android microscopes, Celestron 5mp, Carson eflex and Opti-tekscope. Is anyone using "microscopes" for their closeup watch photos. I have several that I would like to document with pics. Any recommendations? I am not happy with my cell phone pics.

Thanks, Bernie

spencer bernstein

Posts: 37 | Location: Massachusetts in the USA | Registered: March 16, 2018
IHC Member 1338
posted
Spencer

Put that phone down and get a good digital camera

You're trying too hard, you don't need any of that microscope crap, a decent digital camera (fuji Olympia, nikon etc) can be had for $100 or so in good used cond on ebay all day long

Here's a picture I shot off my $35 Fuji, just took the picture no options

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
and use the flower icon on your camera for close ups or micro .

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
posted
Are you using a light box?

Posts: 54 | Location: Rolesville, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2017
posted
Thanks for the advise. No light box, just using cloudy days for diffuse lighting...I am an old film guy who never got out of the "dark ages" 35mm pentax and nikon. full bellows set up for the pentax..

Will borrow my son's "modern pentax" and give it a try. any other thoughts and suggestions, keep them comming.

again thanks,

bernie

spencer bernstein

IHC Member 1338
posted
I'm using the same programs I used back in 1998. Take the pics, move them into paperport, and crop and name them in Photopaint. I personally found that anything else including "macro" wouldn't produce near the quality for me as not doing anything. I also don't go higher than 1280

The other key factors (for me anyway) were:

1. Taking the pics thru the viewfinder, NOT the window (just like you did with the old Nikons and Pentaxes)

2. Get a digital camera with a MANUAL focus ring. I've tried several automatic focus cameras and had no luck with them.

On the cameras, all that hype about the DPI being higher and better never did translate in real world for me. My old Fuji is 2.2 and you're seeing the real world results above

My final take on this is: K.I.S.S. and "If it aint broke don't try to fix it"

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
posted
Spencer I found my best pictures come from a bright sunny day , I need a light box . On the humorous side is a video of a rube machine to take pictures Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmOxqhEuBUM

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
posted
OMG, that is great...The only improvement would have been a dog and using Kodak black plastic 35mm film containers or the aluminum ones instead of the dixie cups.. or a 4x5 speed graphic. But then I didn't see anything except the blonde model...

spencer bernstein