Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Another Hallmark Question: "Nemo" "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Can anyone identify this hallmark?
Any information would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,,
Hub

Posts: 132 | Location: Warren, Oregon in the USA | Registered: May 28, 2008
IHC Member 1555
posted
I haven't seen a case with the "Nemo" marking 20 Year Gold Filled case, I just wonder if it was manufactured by the "Nemo Manufacturing Company Providence Rl", don't know if I am correct or not.

Here is a little history on them below , compliments of the Rhode Island Historical Society and the Jewelry District.org website;

"The jewelry industry in Providence had its origins in the late 18th century in the enterprises of two men, Seril Dodge, who was the first jeweler to open a shop in Providence, and his nephew, Nehemiah Dodge, who developed an early process for rolled plated gold. From these small beginnings Providence developed into the center of jewelry manufacturing in the United States in the late 19th century"

Posts: 2265 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
Hubert, the only time I have seen that case marking was on a case that also had the Arm & Hammer marking just as the case is marked in the attached photo.

On that case the NEMO marking was located where the WARRANTED 25 YEARS N.W.C.CO. is on this one.

The odd thing is that the NEMO serial number was exactly the same as yours but the Arm & Hammer serial number was different than this one and also different than the one in the linked thread.

ARM & HAMMER CASE

Confused? I am. Are there other markings on this case?

Cases with this ARM & HAMMER logo are cheap very thinly plated cases.

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
IHC Member 1555
posted
Forgot to mention in my first post that Seril Dodge and his nephew Nehemiah Dodge were the men that formed and started the "Nemo Manufacturing Company" Providence, Rhode Island.

posted
I thought the arm and hammer was a logo of the Philadelphia Watch Case Company. I have a 6s Hampden from 1896 that is in a case with the Arm & Hammer and no other markings except a serial number.

Posts: 328 | Location: Plattsburgh, New York in the USA | Registered: December 17, 2012
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
Donald, check the ARM & HAMMER CASE link I posted above, there are 2 very similar but different markings.

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
posted
Thanks for all the replies.
The hallmark warranted 20 years does not convience me, it leads me to believe that this is an inexpensive case. However, with deep engine turning, three lids function like they're supposed to,crown is very sharp and bow is very nice, make it a very nice case.

Here's some more photos of the case. I didn't include these before because I didn't want to confuse anyone.
What is your opinion of the small dents in the back lid? Could it be testing for gold?
The indian logo on the case is different from anything I've found, such as in the Kenosha Watch Case.
Thanks for any further information..
Hub

posted
Here's the other photo..

IHC Member 1555
posted
Now I have seen that last mark Hubert, I will plumb for the manufacturer as "Philadelphia Watch Case Co" very similar to the "Perfection' Model, these were Electro Plated, not actual gold filled.

Do all the case lid parts have the same serial on them, as it is strange to have the "Nemo" mark then the "Indian head" as well.

posted
Hi,
Only the lid with hallmark