WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Welcome Aboard IHC185™     Internet Horology Club 185    IHC185™ Discussion Site Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Horological Discussions, Questions and Answers  Hop To Forums  Pocket Watch Discussions    Hamilton 925 Private Label Dial: W.H. Kress - Jeweler - Cheboygan
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton 925 Private Label Dial: W.H. Kress - Jeweler - Cheboygan "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hamilton 925 Private Label Dial

Greetings all.

I totally copied the topic headline from Claude Griffith. I just had to chuckle because I'm posting another private label Hamilton five days after he did.
This is the first private label I've gotten and I was very surprised that I won it. It's a 17 jewel 925 from 1905. As always, any thoughts or information is always appreciated.

Posts: 257 | Location: Worthington, Ohio in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2005
posted
I didn't move the hand before taking this picture. The name on the dial is W.H. Kress - Jeweler - Cheboygan.

Posts: 257 | Location: Worthington, Ohio in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2005
posted
Not the best picture, but the case is really nice and bow and hinges are all nice and tight.

posted
And of course, the innards.
Like I said, any thoughts or info is appreciated.
Thanks!

posted
I tend to pick up private labels from Ohio since I grew up there but also pick for Michigan and a few other states. Some people avoid the PL grades since they feel it takes away from the RR approved status but being able to connect the watch to a location makes it interesting. Nice looking watch since I tend to be a softie for a nice hunter.

Posts: 1789 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
posted
I think about half of mine are private labels , nice one !

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
posted
Thanks for the comments guys. This is one of those watches that just feels right when you hold it. A new crystal and a cleaning and this thing will look sharp. I never even knew that there was a Cheboygan MI. I honestly thought they misspelled Sheboygan! All I need now is to see if Buster [or anyone else] can shed any other light on when it was sold. Have a good, long weekend!

posted
Edward, this watch was finished 5/8/1905 and sold 9/29/1905 to S. W. Steere in Detroit. Not too sure about the first initial "S". I have a hard time with some of the cursive capitals. I assume Steere was a jeweler since he bought several 925s around the same time.

Posts: 346 | Location: Woodland Hills, California in the USA | Registered: January 07, 2011
posted
Wow, thanks Robert. It still amazes me how much information is available out there for something as simple as a watch sale over a hundred years ago. The history of these watches just fascinates me. I may try to see just what else I can find. It was shipped to me from Hillsboro Oregon, so I think it would be very interesting to figure out how it got there!
Have a great holiday weekend and thanks again!
Ed