• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hampden find 16s 21j adj3p unmarked "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I was picking through some watches and ended up winning a 16 size 21 jewel adjusted 3 positions watch that is a lever set and is marked Hampden Watch Co in rolling script and Steel Escape wheel in the same type of font. in the 2,807.xxx serial number range. It is also marked Double Roller is larger script font that is typically seen. As many Hampden 105s, McKinleys, etc that I have I have not seen one with these markings. It appears to be Hampdens attempt to slide into the railroad lines that were still allowing a3p watches. There is a hunter nearby at 2,805,764 this listed as HN4L 3P and one past it at 2.805,941 listed as ON4P 3P and this one is basically centered in the middle of that sn range. I would say it probably was used or carried a lot because the case is used up so badly that you probably would have to pay a scrapper to take it.

I was wondering if anyone has seen a version like this before, it isn't a chronometer, 120, 555 etc. Will post photos when I can.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
posted
The closest font style I found is on page 57 of the Hampden book and figure 5 but change 17 jewels to 21 jewels and add double Roller in medium size font below the 21 jewels and Adjusted 3 positions instead of "Adjusted"

posted

posted

posted
Nice one Claude , Hampden made some nice watches

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
posted
I bought it for the movement since I had never seen one like this before in the 21 jewel version. I can get a new regulator mechanism for it so I should be able to brighten it up a bit and a COA should definitely help improve the looks a bit.

IHC Member 1110
posted
Nice unusual Hampden Claude, you did good!I've seen those markings before but never a 3P 21 jewel like that one.May be from a really small run, maybe they were fishing to see if there was a market for it.Wasn't long after that they came out with the 3 position 21J model 5's.That should clean up into a nice watch!Forgot to ask, what does it have for a dial?...Ted.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
posted
Ted will have to re-case it for sure since the case is extremely used up but I will take some more photos of it as I get it out of the case and the dial cleaned up since it looked pretty grungy. I have gotten lucky in the last couple months with some nice more uncommon to rare Hampdens so sometimes patience does pay off.

Watch arrived today and is indeed a lever set and amazingly runs with a strong balance action. I tend to think that Hampden was doing some small runs of a3p lever sets were still accepted on many class 1 RRs in the south and on the west coast, notably Santa Fe which accepted 17j a3p up into the early 20's, also some lines like Southern and such also accepted a3p up into the early 20's. Will clean this one up and re-case it and post some photos in the Hampden section for uncommon 21 jewel grades.

IHC Member 1110
posted
Glad to hear it's a good runner.You're probably right about them trying to capitalize on the fact that some railroads were allowing those 3P watches.I've never seen these, but supposedly some 17J McKinleys and No. 107's were made lever set and 3 position.I have one of each but they are pendant set and only marked adjusted. ...Ted.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
posted
Dial is pretty typical for that timeframe, it has a small chip near the seconds sunk but rather than replacing it I will do a small patch with acrylic titanium paint. So far it is keeping good time, I put new NOS Hampden #3 type hands on it (medium spade) so that spruced it up nicely. I have a new regulator and regulator spring for it and a nice fancy silveroid case to case it in. From the case you can see that this watch saw a lot of wear so it was definitely a workers watch.