WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

JW Benson "Keyless Ludgate watch" Fit for the Queen! "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
These "after" pictures are of the other "project" I promised to do for my friend. It was completely gummed up, but looked very functional. It runs great now Cool

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Gotta figure out the case proof marks

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Hidden in the works was a stopworks barrel WITH ALL THE PARTS STILL THERE! The "Double Brace" mainspring was a horror show to put back in. I think some English watch makers just like a fiddly diddly watch design. But the stopworks works just fine and the watch runs great now that Capt Ahab's petrified "Whale oil" is cleaned out of it.

Picture of Mary Ann Scott
posted
Dave - I believe the case dates to 1900, London, and the maker is your J.W. Benson. I can't make out the initials on the stem....CH? GH?

Hope this helps.

You did an excellent job cleaning this watch. It is a beauty that I know your friend will be proud of! I'm not sure you would want to work on one like this any time soon. But at least you know what to expect should the urge strike again!

Posts: 1047 | Location: The Colony, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
posted
Great work Dave,
Interesting indeed to find the stop works still intact.
Ray

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Mary Ann, thanks for helping date the case which no doubt was finished with the watch. I enjoy "exploring" these adventuresome movement designs. Ray as always your encouragement is what keeps the "wheels turning".

This one still had a pinned dial AND Ratchet wheel! Smile

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Nice watch Dave!

In Loomes;
Benson, James William. London (Ludgate Hill) 1857-1936 & perhaps later. LTD from 1892

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Here is an ad from 1885 The Gardeners' chronicle

ad

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Great job as usual David.
I enjoy seeing these functional stop works turn up occasionally. I have yet to find one!

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
posted
Great job Dave! I always enjoy the visuals you post.

Posts: 357 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: April 05, 2008
posted
I have just isted my "keyless Ludgate" with original warranty, matchinge serial numbers and original price

[link to eBay removed]

Posts: 3 | Location: Brisbane in Australia | Registered: February 24, 2013
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Hello Phil,

Posted at the top of this forum are the words...

========================================

"Please discuss "ON-LINE TRADING" in that titled forum."

========================================

...which is a "Members Only" forum.

I see that your IHC Membership has lapsed. We invite you to renew your IHC185 Membership and post the link to your auction in the more appropriate forum.

Dr. Deborah L. Irvine
IHC Administrative Assistant
Membership and Marts Coordinator

Contact eMail: ihc185@roadrunner.com

Smile

Posts: 5206 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002