Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Who carrys what watch? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1110
posted
This week using a watch I recently got,a 16s 17J. Hamilton 972L.#1536222 .This one's in a 25 yr. Ilinois Empire case ,original DS RR dial.Nice watch, happy to finally get one.

Posts: 1322 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
Picture of Mark Clark
posted
I don’t carry a watch all the time, but I have been using a Hampden Grade 107, but it’s not running great anymore. I bought it cheap and it was an easy fix to get running, now it will take a bit more to get it up to par. So, now I’m carrying a descent Hamilton 974 with a Fahy’s Motauck Case, DS “Hamilton” Dial with a few fine hairlines, great hands and it keeps excellent time. It has a 10” cheap gold chain on it, since I’m in a chair. Usually have my hands busy pushing and steering! Eek

Posts: 404 | Location: Austin, Texas USA | Registered: October 01, 2013
IHC Member 2264
posted
I always carry a watch. Usually my Waltham 645 but it failed me last week & is no longer running.
Since then I have been wearing my 1886 Waltham Riverside 14s which, as you can see, has been converted to be worn on the wrist. Keeps fairly good time & makes me smile every time I look at it. And I can constantly hear it ticking, even when driving around London!
Regards ..... Gary.

Custom

Posts: 31 | Location: London in the United Kingdom | Registered: August 12, 2018
IHC Member 2264
posted
The rear of the watch.
Regards .... Gary.

Rear

Posts: 31 | Location: London in the United Kingdom | Registered: August 12, 2018
IHC Member 1613
posted
Like the Riverside..Nice Case...

Posts: 2006 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
IHC Life Member
posted
Great Riverside, Gary!

Lately I've been carrying a Hamilton 972P Serial number 1052145 I got from Roger Stephens. After cleaning and a new mainspring, it keeps time within 5 or 8 seconds a week.
Thanks Roger, It works great!!

Steve

Posts: 692 | Location: Washington in the USA | Registered: May 23, 2010
IHC Member 1357
posted
And a great looking watch as well Steve!

Roger

Posts: 4088 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
IHC Member 2264
posted
Thanks Gary & Roger.
I love this watch but there does seem to be one problem, maybe due to the fact that the original Riverside is a lever set. If you look to the right of the crown you can see a gold coloured knob just below & to the left of the strap lug.
This is to set the hands, so it has been linked to the original lever system.
If I wind the watch up just using clockwise winds there comes a point where there is a grinding feel & it will not wind any further.
If I wind the crown clockwise - backwise - clockwise - backwise the watch will wind OK.
Hope that makes sense.
But today I fitted a new mainspring to my usual daily wear watch and at the moment it's running.
Here it is .... Waltham 645 21j
Regards ..... Gary.

posted
I tend to carry this more often now. A 17 jewel Ball-Waltham, S# B225378, cica 1907. Sits in an Illinois Spartan chrome alloy case.

Posts: 535 | Location: Innisfil in Ontario, Canada | Registered: November 04, 2014
IHC Member 2267
posted
I wear this on my wrist.

RLVV

Posts: 178 | Location: Placentia, California in the USA | Registered: August 29, 2018
IHC Member 2267
posted
This is another picture of it.

RLVV

Posts: 178 | Location: Placentia, California in the USA | Registered: August 29, 2018
posted
This month I am wearing in my belt case a Bunn Special 60 hours type III in a golden green case serviced by Paul Davis. Working excellent +20-30 second per week.

I had for the last year on my wrist a Longines Moonphase Master collection.

On top of that I always have with me the phone :-) .

Posts: 3 | Location: Westford, Massachusetts in the USA | Registered: October 05, 2018
posted

Posts: 3 | Location: Westford, Massachusetts in the USA | Registered: October 05, 2018
IHC Member 1357
posted
Daniel, I believe you have all bases covered.
Nice watches!
Roger

Posts: 4088 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
posted
Gary and Daniel , Nice watches , I like the riverside conversion and was looking for a burlington to convert , I also like the longines , the moonphase is neat , I like to keep an eye on the moon for fishing , they tend to bite better on a full moon and it helps getting back in to port .

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
posted
Kevin, you have provided me the perfect answer when friends ask me "why do I need a watch that follows the moon phases" Smile

IHC Member 1110
posted
This week, using a 16s 21J Waltham 645 in a WGF Illinois Tivoli case, Canadian 24 hr. Montgomery dial.Great accurate RR watch!

Picture of Mark Clark
posted
Well, now I wear an Apple Watch 3, Black Stainless Steel with a nice black Milanese band.. considering the new Apple Watch 4 with the black Sportloop band.. we will see!
But, I’m carrying a Hamilton 956 this time in a pocket in my under (wheel)-chair bag. GF Wadsworth case, keeps great time and looks very nice... the Hampden I was carrying, a 107 grade, finally gave up... needs a full work up. The 956 is hanging on to a cool SS snake chain that is 10” long which has saved its life a few times from slipping out of my grip... I tend to pull it up quickly and check it, anyway... looking at a sorta heavy cased 924 Hamilton I’ll carry for a New Years party, show it off a little, tends to start some curious conversations... Smile

Posts: 404 | Location: Austin, Texas USA | Registered: October 01, 2013
posted
Today its this familiar Hamilton, which I carry every now and then.

Hamilton 992B

Posts: 129 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas in the USA | Registered: April 17, 2015
IHC Member 1110
posted
Using my "new" Elgin, an 18s 21j Father Time, gr.149 ,in a fancy Philadelphia Silverode hunting case.Beautiful watch! Runs so nice and quiet, I can barely hear it running!

posted
Daniel, Thats a nice Illinois 60Hr you have there. Love the case!

Posts: 54 | Location: Rolesville, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2017
IHC Member 1110
posted
Just got a new daily carry watch , a nice earlier 18s 21 jewel Waltham Vanguard, open face in a near mint Phila. Silverode locomotive back case. These 18s Vanguard's are one of the most beautiful movements ever made! Probably my personal favorite RR watch.This one gleams like it just came from Crescent St.!

IHC Member 1110
posted
This week I'm using my old faithful 16s Hampden 21 jewel No. 105, #3394408, extra bold DS Montgomery dial, YGF Dueber pyramid- bow RR case. One of the most accurate watches I've ever had, these are as good as anything from Hamilton ,Illinois, etc. I've used this one off and on over 30 yrs. , never let's me down!

IHC Member 1110
posted
I am running my new 18s 21J. Elgin railroad grade No. 181. Just got it back from Rob Carter who did a great job on it with a COA and new mainspring.Beautiful watch keeping excellent time!

posted
I wear a 1974 Speedmaster or an Omega Quartz Chronometer. Occasionally an english lever or Verge or an Elgin or Howard.

Posts: 12 | Location: Washington State in the USA | Registered: October 04, 2017
IHC Member 1110
posted
Running my latest Elgin this week, a 16s 21J grade 454 Father Time.Lives in a WGF Nawco Bulldog-style Challenge case, has the original D.S. Montgomery dial.Strong running classic RR watch keeping excellent time.

posted
Seiko Automatic 5 to work everyday, swapping it out for a vintage Omega (automatic) Seamaster on the weekends. I don’t carry pocket watches often, but when I do, it’s my 992B in a stainless steel case.

Posts: 36 | Location: Richmond, California in the USA | Registered: February 21, 2020
posted
This is a fun thread! Here's the two I wear on a daily basis. The top two pictures are my work watch. An early Hampden grade 34, 15 jewel private label. It's in a nickel hunter so it's perfect for everyday abuse on the job.

The lower two pics are my go-to not at work carry watch. An Elgin M.D. Ogden model 1. It lives in a rather chunky coin silver hunter.

Some weekends and special events I'll dip into the nicer watches, but these two are completely tuned to my wearing habits and keep amazing time.

Posts: 90 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: December 07, 2019
IHC Member 1110
posted
Lately using a mid-20's 16s Hamilton 992, in a YGF Crossbar original case with Montgomery dial. Great dependable railroad watch.

IHC Member 1110
posted
I recently got another Hampden, running strong and keeping excellent time.It's an early 18s 17 jewel two-tone Special Railway, in a fancy YGF Wadsworth open face case. Really nice watch.

posted
My turn: I usually wear an Accutron 218 or LeCoultre Memovox I put together from components. My pocket watch I carry as RR museum volunteer is a model 11 cased 992B Hamilton.

Posts: 653 | Location: St Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2004
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I’ve been rotating between my 19j ORRS Ball-Waltham and my 992B ‘Franken-watch’. Wink

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Member 1338
posted
I'm wearing my nice little Citizen 7 21J Automatic from 1990. I had this FS for months @ $29 bucks but no one wanted it, so decided to wear it myself. Glad I ended up with it, nice timekeeper that isn't too obtrusive.

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008