Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Who carrys what watch? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
posted
Hi Eugene,
Yes It's gold just as in the photo. I have been looking all over and haven't seen another with this pattern.I wish I could.

Steve

Posts: 692 | Location: Washington in the USA | Registered: May 23, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
Here's a photo of another pattern. S# 19122542

IHC Life Member
posted
And another from the same run as mine S#19194566.
Both are listed as nickel on the elgin site.

IHC Life Member
posted
It seems that there were two runs that had these 2 tone patterns . I hope there were more patterns.
I'll keep looking.

Steve

posted
Very nice, wish I could find me one of those.

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
posted
Picture me - a howlin' wolf! Never saw the likes, Steven. Very nice!

Posts: 803 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: September 02, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks for the kind words Ray and Mike.

Keep hunting ,I'm sure there are more to be found.

Steve

posted
Normal post in the wrist watch section, but recently purchased this very nice and rare 1924 Bulova 'Prince of Wales' pocket watch, complete with brass stand. Makes for an excellent desk time piece.

(Awaiting new crystal just ordered)

Stephen
www.mybulova.com

Posts: 97 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: April 28, 2007
posted
Hello Bill Here from Ct. I wear the same Hamilton Watch to work I bought in 1967 when I made Signalman position at New Haven Hump Yard. It is a 992 with Railway Special printed under Hamilton's name. The gold case still shines up nicely. It no longer keeps perfect time but neither do I. I set 5 ahead in the morning and at bedtime I compare it to my three yes [3] La Crosse wall clocks all "listening" to Colorado's standard time radio signal It may have lost one or two minutes.

Over the years I bought many watches from the retirees leaving the New Haven and later the Penn Central. Accutron had come out with a Railroad model complete with a dial or two just for the railroads. Now we got Accutrons for awards and could buy them from the railroad store without having to carry a time book.

I was surprised how many associated their watch with having to pull long hours running trains. Somehow the watch symbolized getting to work boarding their train and pulling a 12 shift. Many sold them for $40 to $50 a half weeks straight time pay for me then after taxes.

For those still awake I now carry a 950 or a Waltham u/dn simple gold case workhorse. God I still love "my" watches. And I won't part with the watches I was able to buy from the retirees either. At night I take each one out remembering the conductor, brakeman, Fireman that carried it or the heavy handed engineer that wore his proudly running what was left of the big name trains.

I work on the old New York Central track called the B&A. Way past legal retirement age the company still asks me to stay so I do. My watches I work with get oiled and a bath when needed and all run well enough for today's timely needs.
Take Care...

Posts: 77 | Location: Hartford, Connecticut in the USA | Registered: August 11, 2010
IHC Member 1110
posted
Nice looking Waltham, Bill.Is that a Vanguard or a Crescent St?Welcome to IHC185!...Ted.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
posted
Hello Ted. It is a Vanguard model. With a Lossier Inner Terminal hair Spring. Watch Keeps great time and I wear it often to work. I had a white gold Crescent St but it was stolen many years ago from my locker at work. Kids broke in. I don't know what the difference is between the models. My C S was in a nice WG BOC case though...

Posts: 77 | Location: Hartford, Connecticut in the USA | Registered: August 11, 2010
posted
Today, I'm wearing a Mido Multifort Super Automatic. It's the first "Bumper" auto I've purchased and quite pleased with it's day to day performance.

Posts: 16 | Location: Bowling Green, Kentucky in the USA | Registered: September 14, 2010
Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
Welcome to IHC 185, from one Bill to another Bill. Similar backgrounds also. I started on the Northern Pacific Ry. in 1960, made Signalman in 1965. Retired from the BNSF in 2001, a couple years early.
I was one of the Accutron guys, and now I know I should have been buying nice RR pocket watches. Enjoy the best watch site on the net.

Bill

Bill Carlson

Posts: 431 | Location: Billings, Montana USA | Registered: February 05, 2007
posted
Today I'm wearing a Rolex Oyster Perpetual "Officially Certified Chronometer" which I purchased new in Zurich on or about August 6, 1959, so I've owned it for 51 years and worn it daily for most of that time, until about 5 years ago when I stsrted getting interested in pocket watches. Still a great watch though, even if I have paid a multiple of its purchase price for servicing over the years. My recollection is that I paid 180 Swiss francs (about $120) for it. Wouldn't trade it for the fanciest new Rolex!

chas

Posts: 63 | Location: Northern Ohio in the USA | Registered: June 20, 2006
posted
Today I am wearing my Bulova Accutron 214 Railroad Approved. Great watch, very accurate, but need to keep an eye on the battery life. I carry a PW on occasion, when I do it is usally my BW Raymond, or my 4992B.

Posts: 130 | Location: Southern Mississippi in the USA | Registered: February 25, 2007
posted
Like others who have replied to this post, I give another pocket watch a ride in my pocket every moth or so. Now it is an Illinois 16s Model 5, grade 187 (marked) “Getty Model” with 3 finger bridges. It is interesting that this movement is marked 187, but an open face model (position of click wheel on bridge side).

Ross Frank

Illinois 187 - face

Posts: 14 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 03, 2010
posted
Movement in salesman's case.

Ross Frank

Illinois 187 - movement

Posts: 14 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 03, 2010
posted
...ans a clear view...

Ross Frank

Illinois 187 - movement

posted
I never had a Bullova Railroad model wristwatch. I saw them plenty in the late 60's and early 70's. This Bullova was a gift to me for being a nice Guy to what turned out to be the owner of a very large Jewelry store in Hartford ct. He gave it to me one day after once again helping his wife bring in bags from shopping. It had a slight flaw on the case face so he would not sell it. I still wear it to this day.

But never to work. LOL..

Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
Its time to put a new watch on here ! This is a Illinois, 19 J, # 4694275

Bill Carlson

Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
Here the movement..

Bill Carlson

IHC Life Member
posted
Here's one I have not seen posted before. Elgin model 9 grade 342 17j lever set.

IHC Life Member
posted
and the face, gold tone 24 hour dial.
Anyone know the reason for the gold tone? It seems to be easier to read in dim light. Maybe it's just my eyes.

Steve

posted
I carry my one and only (for now) Hamilton 972 in a silveroid case on a leather strap that I purchased from an esteemed member of this forum.

Mike

Posts: 43 | Location: Putnam County, New York in the USA | Registered: October 30, 2010
IHC Member 1110
posted
Lately I've been switching between a 16S 17J Waltham open face Royal model'99,and a 16S 19J Getty-model Burlington Special.Both are great timekeepers!

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
posted
For the past few days I have carried this one.
Its a BWR 17j Grade 180 Mdl 7, with the dual time zone hands.
Bill

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
posted
mvmt

posted
Steve,
I also have a gold colored Cdn dial on a Gr. 349.
I know mine does not have the correct second hand tho.
Bill

posted
mvmt1

IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
Yes I carry a watch daily. To day I,m wearing My 24 Jewel Washington Watch Co, 24 Jewel Lafayette with this fantastic Buck horn Sterling Chain.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
Another Photo

IHC Life Member
posted
Last photo

IHC Life Member
posted
I finally got this one cleaned and working so I'll carry it for a while.
Elgin convertible model 1 in a coin silver case.