• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin 572 Question... "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I recently picked this watch up in a lot of watches that I bought. I could not find the serial number P827576 in the pocket watch database substituting 52 for the P. 19 jewels and 6 adjustments - would this be considered a Railroad Grade watch? It is lever set. Any info would be helpful.

Posts: 353 | Location: Nichols, New York in the USA | Registered: April 04, 2010
posted
Movement

Posts: 353 | Location: Nichols, New York in the USA | Registered: April 04, 2010
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Forget that unreliable source Ken, may I recommend you go through IHC thoroughly and see all we have built for your use.

For your Elgin Information begin here...

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...s/a/frm/f/7186009181

Then choose this authoritative database..

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...6009181/m/5946003581

Your specific information should be here...

http://elginwatches.org/cgi-bi...827576&action=search

UNFORTUNATELY, even the "Elgin Watch Collectors Database" does not include everything on yours. Frown

As to your basic question, there is a difference between "Railroad Grade" and "Accepted for RR Time Service" e=when the given watch was manufactured. Nineteen Jewels was not accepted after 1920 which is sad, as the sole and only difference between 19 and 21-Jewels on most movements, including yours, are cap jewels which have NO EFFECT on the accuracy or time abilities in any way.

Personally, the undersigned prefers 19-Jewel movements, they are simple, strong and reliable. But, on those late Elgins the "6 Adjustments" would only be 3 positions, heat, cold and isocronism. So even prior to 1920 what you have is like an "Electric Railway" watch. The finish, precision and especially the adjustments are what count the most. Yours is from 1952 and then 6 positions, which would be marked as "9-Adjustments" on a fifties-era Elgin Railroad Grade pocket watch.

Not Railroad Grade, or acceptable in Time Service, but an excellent "carry" watch for general uses.

Buy what you like and clearly you like that one! Big Grin

One more thing, if you would like to learn more about the Elgin 571 which was their heavily-featured Railroad Watch from 1946 through the 1954 end of production...

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...6047761/m/3221035923

Be well my friend,

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Lindell, thank you for that wealth of information

posted
Elgin was still supplying the Mexico market with the 527 which was a 19j 16s adj3p and you can find the 527 with the 24hr dial and if I am not mistaken the 572 was the replacement for the 527. You will also find some Buren Swiss watches that were used for Mexican RR service that are only adjusted to 3 positions. So technically the 572 with a 24hr dial could have been used for service in Mexico, I think Hamilton, Ball and even Elgin (658 Swiss) provided 19-23j watches to the Mexico RR market that were adjusted to 3 or more positions. For the US market the 572 was never allowed as far as I know for RR service but with the correct 24hr dial it could have been used in Mexico for RR service. Maybe some others can jump on this topic and for the record I have some Elgin 527s with the 24hr dials.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Thanks Claude, my emphasis was of course on the US Market and your report on the Mexican Market supplies "the rest of the story" on these under-appreciated yet very interesting timekeepers.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
I have two 527 with the 24hr dials and with a 10yr gold filled case which was pretty typical of these Mexican export RR watches from Elgin. It seems the Burens were either 21 or 23 jewel, I know Hamilton had a branded version or two that were Swiss variants. I think by 49 the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy (CB&Q) was one of the last class 1 lines to go to the 21j and adj5p requirement. I did find some reference to what the prior requirements were, see below, I looked and the 572 serial number starts in 1946, so maybe up to 1949 you could have had a 572 and used it on the CB&Q line but that would have not have happened universally. I think Santa Fe had switched some time in the 30's, most of the east coast had long since changed to 21 and adj5p during the late late 20's early 30's with just a few stragglers like CB&Q waiting until after the war. On that topic the CB&Q may have been part of the relaxing of more stringent RR watch rules because of the shortage of materials and capacity during the WW2 years which had some impact on the availability of new RR approved pocket watches for the US market. I agree with Lindell I don't consider the grade 572 a US RR approved watch but there maybe a one in a few million chance that someone has a 572 with a CB&Q RR inspection card, my chances of hitting the mega lotto are probably better.

CB&Q RULE

Rules Governing Watch Inspection Service of This Company

April 1, 1949

2. The minimum standard of WATCHES NOW IN SERVICE is a grade equal to what is known among American Railroad Movements as "NICKEL 17-JEWELS, BREGUET HAIRSPRING, PATENT REGULATOR, LEVER SET, ADJUSTED TO TEMPERATURE AND THREE POSITIONS," that will run within a variation of thirty seconds per week

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Looks like they were late in adopting the standards, but I would point out their reference to "NOW IN SERVICE" and the fact that beginning in 1920 no watch less than 21-Jewels could ENTER into Railroad Time Service. But there were exceptions, most notably during the World War (1941-45) during which they accepted watches that deviated from the norm due to shortages. The watch my Dad carried on the Bessemer and Lake Erie (B&LE) Railroad that has an interesting history...

It is important to note that prohibitions were not against watches already in use on the railroad but rather those entering time service.

As a matter of fact, during the World-War (1941-45) things would actually be quite different as new watches were very difficult to come by. In 1942 my dad was hired by the Bessemer and Lake Erie Railroad in Greenville, Pennsylvania and he was asked to come up with a Railroad Timekeeper. My dad proudly produced the South-Bend 17-Jewel 18-size Marked Grade 313 that his grandfather had purchased new some thirty years before.

The RULE was minimum of 21-Jewels and rejection of watches made by companies no longer in business. As you can see, the individual Railroad Time Inspectors had a lot of leeway! Roll Eyes South-Bend closed-down at the end of 1929 followed by 1930 liquidation. (The concern was that out-of-business could mean difficulties in finding parts.)

Many years later my dad explained to me the Railroad Time Inspector kept that South-Bend watch for ten days of service, adjustment and evaluation. At the end of that time it was certified to enter time service. My dad would then carry that reliable South-Bend on the Bessemer Railroad for the next ten years. I remember well the short black leather strap hanging from dad's watch pocket with a silver heart on the end of it.

Today that watch is here on display in a dome, one of my most prized possessions.

Lindell

Wink