Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Who Made "Gibraltar" Cases? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1110
posted
Anyone know who made "Gibraltar" gold filled cases? I can't find anything about them but they seem pretty common.I woder if that was just another name used by one of the major casemakers?

Posts: 1322 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
I used to have a link to get into case trademarks, but it disappeared. If anyone has that link please post it.

I have seen the Gibraltar cases in 10-20-25 year warranty's and guarantees both ways. They are an OK case.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Member 1110
posted
Thanks again Buster!

posted
Theodore - You will not find the “Gibraltar” case mark in any trademark resource, and there is a good reason for it. Your case represents an interesting point in the history of watch case manufacturing.

For many decades, it was standard for manufacturers to mark gold-filled cases with a year designating a wear guarantee. This practice quickly became a trusted indicator for quality throughout the industry, encouraging customers to pay more to receive a better product.

However, unscrupulous companies began producing inferior cases containing unregistered trademarks paired with the familiar guarantees. As you might expect, the anonymity was a shrewd strategy to sell cheap cases while circumventing any future claim on the case warranty.

In 1923, a resolution was adopted by the major case manufacturers, in collaboration with the Federal Trade Commission, to abolish all time guarantees on gold-filled cases. Additionally, the term “Gold-Filled” could only be utilized if a case contained a standard thickness and quality agreed upon by the industry.

During the conference with the Federal Trade Commission, a variety of anonymous gold-filled cases with unregistered trademarks were exhibited as evidence of the inferior quality despite the stamped time guarantees. Amongst the cases exhibited was one marked “Gibraltar.”

Posts: 49 | Location: Tennessee in the USA | Registered: February 20, 2012
IHC Member 1110
posted
Thank you for that Nate.I have seen a lot of these cases, I have only one, an 18s.Mine shows some brass, I imagine it likely didn't have much gold on it to begin with.I appreciate the info! Have a Merry Christmas!