Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Dennison Watch Case Co. and Movement? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
This Dennison Watch case was made in Birmingham, England in 1896 if I am reading the price guide correctly. The movement is my concern. It does not look like a Swiss Fake. Has anyone seen a movement like this before and know who made it? It may be English? SN 152406 size 18.

Thanks,
Harry

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
IHC Member 1610
posted

IHC Member 1610
posted

IHC Member 1610
posted

IHC Member 1610
posted
Update. Still have not discovered who made this movement. I have it in hand now. I am pretty sure the case hallmark says it was made in 1911. Watch was not suppose to be running. It was sold for parts and I wanted the case but now that it is running I have to go to plan be and keep them together. I am not ready to take it apart yet to see if it is 11j or 15j. Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

Harry

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Your watch, I guess ser# 152406, does not appear to me to be American made. I also am guessing that it is a 18sz. It is a KW-KS model. Case of Silver, Dennison Watch Case Co in Birmingham. Date letter looks to be 1907 to me...

Next clue would possibly be two foot dial or three foot ?

My evaluation would be Swiss made. It appears to be made in the style of the Waltham 1870-1879 models from probably the same period or era.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Member 1610
posted
Hi Buster,

Thank you very much. You are correct sn 152406 and 18s. I took the dial out and it has a 2 post dial held in with screws. I have been searching English movements with no success and I will now try Swiss.

Thanks again for your input and help,
Harry

IHC Member 2030
posted
By no means an expert, however, I remember reading the Swiss were trying to replicate American and vice versa at many times during the heyday.
Mike

Posts: 1114 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia in the USA | Registered: February 08, 2015
IHC Member 1610
posted
Hi Mike,

Yes I think those were referred to as Swiss Fakes. Normally they are very easy to spot. They look similar to American Watches of the same period and they have names very similar to US watches but they are usually of very poor qualities.

This movement does look similar to an Illinois but this watch has no name only a serial number and appears to be much better quality than the typical Swiss Fake. I am not saying this is not a Swiss Fake but it is a lot better quality than any Swiss Fake I have seen.

Harry