• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

The Wells Dial? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Aloha, I am interested in learning about a interesting four time zone dial called "The Wells Dial". I believe it is a scarce dial. It has the four time zones in the contiguous United States marked as "E", "C", "M", and "P" and allows the viewer to tell the time in the four time zones of the United States at a single glance. I would like to know if this dial is scarce or rare and any history relative to its inventor, which watch manufactures used it, if at all, when it was in production, was it ever patented, what sizes were made, etc.? Thank you,in advance, for any information the membership can share with me. Mahalo, Fred

Posts: 106 | Location: Honolulu, Hawaii in the USA | Registered: June 12, 2016
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
Fred, can you post a photo?

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
IHC Member 1338
posted
There was one on ebay couple weeks back. I've never heard of it but kinda interesting. Had an elgin underneath it and went for $860 or something like that.

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
IHC Member 1541
posted
Yikes, Tom, resize or Deb will send you a terse email. Smile

If you need to, send me that photo and I will resize it.

Aside from that, interesting dial.

IHC Member 1338
posted
I can't resize it, downloaded it from ebay and it will not let me resize. Says it's in a wrong format so cannot import it into paperport/photopaint to resize Frown So did FTP upload onto my server and did manage to do that. Hence it's on my server not debs tho but if someone can take this and do that go ahead or I'll just delete it

However what the hey I'll email you the photo and you can give it a shot.

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
Here's a smaller size.

Posts: 692 | Location: Washington in the USA | Registered: May 23, 2010
IHC Member 1338
posted
Thanks, Steven!

Lorne, got your resize as well, appreciate it.

Since Steven has already posted similiar size, we'll just go with his, I deleted my 3 million Gigaklotz one...LOL

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

IHC Member 1541
posted
Thanks Steven, had a little lapse there, I should have just done it as you did.

All is well and size does matter.

IHC Life Member
posted
No problem. You are welcome.
It is an interesting dial.

Steve

Posts: 692 | Location: Washington in the USA | Registered: May 23, 2010
posted
That is sorta neat , if you needed to the time in another zone , but at a glance it is really confusing

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
posted
Aloha, thank you for the interest and the commentary on this dial from the membership. It is an unusual configuration and, yes, it is confusing but that is probably adding to its allure. Does anyone have any information on the history of this dial, its rarity, who made it, which watch companies may have used it, etc? I am intrigued by this dial and would appreciate any information that might be shared. Mahalo nui, Fred

Posts: 106 | Location: Honolulu, Hawaii in the USA | Registered: June 12, 2016
IHC Member 1541
posted
I think the logical sequence would be E C M P.

posted
I think you're right, Lorne
Bill

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008