Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin help please...what dial? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
I need some Elgin help from one of my well versed Elgin experts.

I have an Elgin 18s H.H. Taylor Elgin that is a transitional model. I did not know Elgin made a transitional model. According to The Pocket Watch Data Base (ewwwh) it is a Grade 20, model 2, class 3 sn 156351. Manufactured in 1871. If this is correct (even the Pocket Watch Data Base gets one right occasionally).

My question is should this sn 156351 have a SS "National Watch Co". dial or the "Elgin National Watch Co." SS dial? If it should have the "National Watch Co". dial then I would need to get one from someone if they have one. If it is suppose to have the "Elgin National Watch Co.) dial then it is correct and I do not need the dial. I am trying to get an inexpensive example of an 18s Elgin that uses a National Watch Co. dial.

Thank you very much,
Harry

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Hello Harry,

Using the "Elgin Wayne" website here is some information about your Elgin with information regarding the dial.

Posts: 5226 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
IHC Member 1610
posted
Thank you Debbie. Now I guess I need another dial...LOL. Not being a Elgin collector I had not used this site before but it look like a very good site. Now all I have to do is study it to figure out how to read it.

Thanks again,
Harry

IHC Member 1947
Picture of Serge Barlas
posted
Hi Harry,

Production of Elgin movements from 1867 thru 1874 would be fronted with dials that had the "National Watch Co." on the dial. After 1874 you began to see the "Elgin National Watch Co." dials. Theses dials were used for the next 25 years or so until the "Elgin" dials were introduced. Hope this helps.

Kindest regards,

Serge

Posts: 276 | Location: Grand Ledge, Michigan in the USA | Registered: April 16, 2014
IHC Member 1610
posted
Ok I have figured out how to read the first line;

"156351 155101 4900 TAY 1872 20* 18s hfg2ls 15j Adj f"

Does the second line mean that my serial number was in the first run and the first run was 1251 produced out of 9000?

"first run of grade 20; 1251 of 9000 in grade;"

And does the next line mean that the second run there were 1351 of the 9000 ran? And does anyone know what they are talking about the 2nd Model and # 2 stem-wind? Aren't all 9000 the 2nd model and stem-wind?

"
1351 of 2nd model in 18s; 1351 of lever setting; # 2nd stem-wind"

Thanks if anyone can help me read this correctly,
Harry

IHC Member 1610
posted
Thank you Serge. Yes that helps a lot. Now on to finding the correct dial.

Harry

IHC Member 1947
Picture of Serge Barlas
posted
Harry,

Another website I use a lot is the pocket watch database. A lot of good basic information based on movement serial numbers and it includes pictures of collector's watches. It is one of my go to research sources.

thepocletwatchdatabase.com

Kindest regards,

Serge

Posts: 276 | Location: Grand Ledge, Michigan in the USA | Registered: April 16, 2014
IHC Member 1610
posted
Hi Serge,

Yes I use it also but try not to as there are too many errors in it. People can download pictures of there watches on there and I have seen totally different movements pictured than should be. I have also have 16s size Illinois and when you put the serial number in the data base says it is an 18s and shows a lot of pictures of 18s movements. My 16s Getty looks nothing like an 18s Illinois. But yes it is a quick and easy reference to use.

Thanks,
Harry

IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
Harry, just input the info on your watch to correct the error. The more people that do it the better the database will get.

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
IHC Member 1610
posted
I did not get the watch because I could not find out any info on it because what I found was not correct. Plus I ended up finding one in my collection so I did not take a picture. But that is a good idea Lorne and I will make an effort to do that in the future.

Harry