• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Displaying Watches? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi everyone. Glad I found this website. Looks like a wealth of knowledge is here. I do have a question about displaying our watches. I would like to know how you guys display yours? I would love to find an old pocket watch display case from the early 20’s to the mid 40’s. Right now mine are in a drawer and I really want to be able to display them for conversation pieces and to keep their history alive. Every time I look at a Hamilton Railroad Watch I see my grandfather. He was an engineer for the Seaboard Coastline RR for 37 years. I get lots of joy collecting Hamilton RR watches among others. Your comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Have a great day!

It is what it is!

Posts: 54 | Location: Rolesville, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2017
IHC Member 2030
posted
Hi Wesley
No affiliation , some where on this site a member posted this guy. Nice displays.

[eBay link removed as this is a public forum]

Regards
Mike

Posts: 1114 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia in the USA | Registered: February 08, 2015
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Hello Wesley,

One great thing about IHC185 is that we have a wealth of information.

We have a wonderful feature titled "Find or Search".

I typed in "How to Display Your Watches" and was able to bring up previous discussions as well as images that have been posted.

Click here: How to Display Your Watches

Posts: 5206 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
posted
I generally keep a couple on the desk , and hide the others , to keep my wife happy ! In reality they are locked up to keep them safe and dry. I need to add a rider on my insurance to be safe.

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
These two sites have displays for sale, for sure. Timesavers.com and Merrits.com
I'm sure there are others..

Bill Carlson

Posts: 431 | Location: Billings, Montana USA | Registered: February 05, 2007
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
posted
Hi Wesley,
I guess it depends on how many watches you have to display, ot feel safe to display.
All th above are great ways to display a few watches.
Here is a display case I had made for me by another IHC member, he had one for himself and after lots of whining and seeing he was in the same basic area of the world as me, he relented, Thank you again Lorne.
Here are some pictures of my case, it stands about 5'6" tall, has storage in the bottom half of the case, and will display approximately 70 watches.
The display part rotates to 4 different faces. In the pics I am only showing the display section, not the bottom storage.
My watches are only displayed in the case while I am at home or at least in the immediate vicinity, and reside in my very large safe the rest of the times, but at least I can enjoy them a lot of the time.
Sorry for the poor quality of the pictures
Bill

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
posted

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
Here is a great idea from Gary Cochran.

What to do with this old door...

And a link to the first rotary display I did (same as the one I did for Bill Manders above but the Maui Jim cabinets are probably no longer available)Thanks Bill.

Rotary Pocket Watch Display

Gary's Display Idea

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
IHC Member 1357
posted
There are as many ways to display watches as there
are watches.
I display mine on a jewelry display found at Wal-Mart.
Had to add cup holders.

Roger

Posts: 4088 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
posted
WOW what great displays. You guys really display your watches nicely. Hopefully soon I will have a display case. I met someone who makes them out of old wood from barns etc etc etc. I own a couple old tobacco barns that are over 100 years old and he is supposed to be going down to look at them to see if he can repurpose them for me. If he does I will be sure and post the pictures of his custom made case. I am hoping he will be able to do this. Old wood along with old watches. What more can one ask for...
Thanks all.

It is what it is!

Posts: 54 | Location: Rolesville, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2017
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
A watch cabinet I built a few years ago. It now resides in Roger Nolfe's watch shop!

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
This is another that I built and holds part of my collection!

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
A smaller case that also resides in Roger Nolfe's shop!

posted
Edward, Those display case are GORGEOUS!

It is what it is!

IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
Very nice work Edward!

What type of wood is that in your second photo.

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
The first case is made from Butternut and the second case is made from Tiger Maple. The small case is Black Walnut.

IHC Member 1613
posted
Ed,
That Tiger Maple case is a real beauty...

Posts: 2006 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
IHC Life Member
posted
Ed's woodworking is beautiful and I'm proud to have several pieces made by him.

Roger

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
IHC Member 1959
posted
Hi ED
those cases are works of art. You still making them? JMF

Posts: 340 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: June 28, 2014
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Ed,

Nice job!

Smile

Posts: 5206 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002