Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin 18s Kw Model 1 mainspring. "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
Elgin 18s Kw Model 1 mainspring.

It might be on here but if it is I can not find it. I am looking for for which mainspring the 18s Elgin KW model 1 and model 2 take. I know what it looks like it is a touge mainspring but I can not find the number so I can try to find one.

Thanks,
Harry

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
IHC Member 1555
posted
The correct spring for those Harry is like the proverbial "hen's teeth" to find. Most of the newer parts books don't have it listed, the original Elgin part number is #2324, I think C. E. Marshall listings have the original factory number as #2325 which is incorrect.

A lot of so called repairers end up drilling the mainspring barrel and lid to fit a tee-end, not a great idea, but in time to come you will probably have no option, unless someone starts making a larger selection of new mainsprings to sell.

Send me a private email when you get a chance mate and I will probably be able to shed some more light on it for you. Also if you can post a pic of the barrel pin (should be a round steel pin protruding into the barrel) the spring catches on as well please, that would be great.

Posts: 2262 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
IHC Member 1610
posted
Hi Bila,

Thanks. It is 3am and I am going to bed but since your 16 hours ahead and I will take the watch apart and send you the pictures. But in the meantime the C.E. Marshall 2325 spring should work because it is really a 2324 is that correct. Right now it has a white alloy mainspring that someone bent the end over and slid a short piece of mainspring in it so it would catch. That made me think I have several key winds and all have usable mainsprings but I am going to need one sooner or later so I am being proactive.

When you get up tomorrow you should have an email from me.

Thanks mate,
Harry

IHC Member 1613
posted
Gary,
Do you know the measurements on that spring...

Posts: 2006 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
IHC Member 1610
posted
Hi Gary,

According to "American Mainsprings" It is 2.92x.229x22.5 . It has a tongue end. It is also pencilled in that I can use a Waltham 2203 but I would then have to drill a hole into the barrel to accept the "T" end.

Harry

IHC Member 1555
posted
Just sent you an email HarrySmile

Posts: 2262 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
IHC Member 1610
posted
Thanks Mate!

IHC Member 1555