Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Rotary Pocket Watch Display (Junior Model Added) "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
I was at the optometrist a few months ago and got to thinking about this Maui Jim sunglass display stand and how it could work for pocket watches.

One of the staff members contacted the Maui Jim rep and these stands were to be replaced with a newer model.

Intense negotiations ensued and a few weeks later I hauled this baby home in my truck. It is about 6 1/2 ft. high but the top lifts off so it was an easy job.

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
IHC Member 1541
posted
There was a great huge fluorescent tube down the centre and a smaller one to light the top.

Out they came and I ordered some 12V LED tape-on light strips from Lee Valley. All the rigging, transformer, switch, dimmer and wires are housed above the turntable.

Some 3/16 plywood, pool table cloth and cup hooks and she was ready to go.

14 watches a side, total capacity 56 watches.

IHC Member 1541
posted
The base has a small drawer and cabinet with lots of storage.

IHC Member 1541
posted
Lighted in an otherwise dark room.

IHC Member 1541
posted
I am pretty happy with the whole project.

IHC Member 1369
posted
Very nice job, Lorne! But won't this mean you have to limit your collection to 56 watches? Wink

Posts: 542 | Location: Ontario in Canada | Registered: February 10, 2010
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Nice, If you'd sell me that Seth #2 you would have more room for another one!

Dave Turner

Posts: 1978 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Member 1541
posted
Thanks Ralph, I wish that was all it would take to limit my collection. Smile

Dave, still haven't found a Seth #2 eh? I'll keep an eye out for you.

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
I like it!!!

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
posted
Fantastic, Lorne! What a perfect corner piece. Smile

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
Jeez, you're a busy beaver, Lorne-

Hey, what about the other optometrist shops in the area?

Kidding.
Nice work.

kh

Posts: 921 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: March 25, 2013
IHC Member 1541
posted
They aren't that difficult to find Ken.

One just went unsold on eBay in Illinois for $175 and there is another in Sacramento but he wants $899. Finding one that you can pick up is the trick.

I forgot to mention that the stand is on wheels.

IHC Member 1110
posted
Now that is cool! Great idea and a really nice job Lorne.It's always nice when a good plan comes together. Best regards, Ted.

Posts: 1322 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
posted
Lorne,
I am glad you finally finished the rotary case for me, seeing as you have done such a great job on it, I will try and find another case that you can keep for yourself. Actually I will drive out this weekend maybe and pick it up.
Thanks,
Bill

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
IHC Member 1725
posted
Really, really nice Lorne and the clock is a beauty too!!DOUBLE PLEASURE!!
Best regards,
Tim

Posts: 376 | Location: Conover, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: July 07, 2012
IHC Life Member
posted
Wow, Lorne that's fantastic work!

I hear they say in Canadia, "If the women don't find ya handsome they should at least find ya handy!" Big Grin

Posts: 995 | Location: Pleasanton, California in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2012
IHC Member 1541
posted
Thank you gentlemen for the kind comments.

Bill, if you find one let me know. This one involved some frustrations but a second would be much easier.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
Lorne,
What a GREAT idea and an excellent job. That is gorgeous.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of John J. Flahive III
posted
Well done Lorne! Looks Beautiful.

Posts: 1755 | Location: Colorado in the USA | Registered: October 17, 2005

posted
Now that is slick - WoW!!!!

Lorne - can you make me around 10 of them so I can get everything out of boxes and containers? Big Grin

You did say there was one for sale in IL, eh?

Posts: 7178 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2011
IHC Member 1892
posted
Beautiful job Lorne.

Posts: 361 | Location: Kincardine, Ontario in Canada | Registered: November 25, 2013
IHC Member 1541
posted
quote:
Jon Hart
You did say there was one for sale in IL, eh?

I emailed you a link.

Let me know if you pick it up and I will make a bit of a list of things I did.

First move, to get it home, is open the bottom door and unplug the AC power cord then just lift off the top part. It sits on 4 chrome register pins.

I was able to manage it myself but it is a bit cumbersome.

Picture of Donald Hawes
posted
I really like your rotary case with all those "big money" watches. One reason I like collecting watches is they don't take up so much room..like dolls, motorcycles, tractors etc.! Not to say I wouldn't collect them if I had the room! I love antiques....takes be back to my childhood!

Posts: 345 | Location: Racine, Wisconsin in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2010
IHC Member 1541
posted
I scored another one of these but this one is only 20" high and 11" square. (678)

No power to this one but I hope to find suitable battery powered LED lights for it as there is a depression in the top of each side that should fit them.

As is now, 14 watches on this side and 16 on the other, just a titch short to fit 4 of the bigger 18s pieces.

Unlike the bigger one where the pedestal rotates inside the outer housing, this entire case rotates.

I love doing these, most fun you can have without laughing but must admit to a few joyful chuckles when doing this one.

posted
These displays give me a great idea. And you did a fantastic job on these. They are gorgeous. I hope that I am able to locate what I know used to be at a local wholesale warehouse for retail businesss.

Posts: 54 | Location: Rolesville, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2017
IHC Member 1541
posted
Thanks Wesley, Maui Jim has used a lot of displays that would be ideal for conversion to use with pocket watches. Maui Jim Displays

The ones I used were made by Chippenhook.

I have another newer version seen below (just the top part) but it is sitting out on the front porch covered with plastic.

The Maui Jim representative in Vancouver was very good about helping me out with acquiring the one I did for Bill Manders.

When they changed to a newer version the rep went around delivering the new ones and picking up the old ones of which most went to the landfill.

He held one for me and a buddy picked it up and trailered it here for me.

posted
There is one exactly like the first picture in this thread for sale in Raleigh for $500.00
I offered her $250.00 We shall see. Its been advertised on Craigslist for several months now. She may bite.
I believe a nice scale model of a Seaboard Coastline Engine like my grandfather ran would look great on top, with some Seaboard Coastline advertisements in other strategic places. Thoughts?

Posts: 54 | Location: Rolesville, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2017
IHC Member 1541
posted
Sounds good, lots of finicky work involved but I liked that.

Before you take out the bolts holding the top on put something around it to hold it together. I used a piece of string and a light bungy cord to give it some tension.

Also, before you take out the screws to remove the turntable, mark everything so the parts are oriented the same way when they go back in.

If not the holes won't line up and you will waste a lot of time.

If need be, send me an email (address is in my profile) and I can answer any questions you may have.

posted
She declined my generous offer. Smile I have some friends looking for me who are in the retail business.
Thanks for the offer. I may take you up on it, if I ever get one of these.

posted
Update, She sent me an email today asking if I would pay $300.00 for it. I responded with a couple more questions about the display. Will update when I get more information, and pictures.
Thanks