• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Dueber Grade 21j watch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi all, I have just purchased this watch, and not being to familiar with Hampdens, what can you tell me about it ?
I had read a post somewhere, where it was not accepted on some lines, and do not understand why that would be. Any info on this watch, quality, numbers, etc. would be appreciated.
The ser # is3031390, 21 jewel, adj 5 pos.
Thanks,
Bill

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
posted

IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
Hi Bill very nice watch. Hampden's have always been underappreciated. I probably have at least a dozen 21 and 23 jewel Hampden's. What I like about them is they are all different demaskeen patterns.

They should be all RRG but it is up to each individual RR to approve which watches that can be used on there RR. I have no knowledge why a RR would approve one RRG watch and not another. It may be something as simple as keeping parts on hand or keeping the watchmaker standardized so he does not have to work on so many different brands. Much like Southwest Airlines does today by only having one type of airplane. They only have to be proficient in the one airplane and therefore all the maintenance and repairs are the same.

This of course is only speculation on my part and I am sure there are other reasons that are much more probable that some of our more knowledgeable collectors are aware of.

Harry

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
IHC Member 1110
posted
Bill, Nice Dueber!The odd thing about that grade is, although it is a full blown railroad watch,it was not always advertised as being railroad approved.Maybe because the original price was a little less than the New and Special Railway's and the John Hancock.I'm pretty sure they were allowed on most rail lines.The dial on yours is from a much older Hampden, someone must have switched it along the way.They also made that one in 17 jewels, but there are way more 21's out there.They are a nice watch!

Posts: 1322 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
posted
A lot of urban legends are out there about Hampden and just as a reference the Deuber Watch Co grade was $26.60 in 1917 (movement only) and the Hamilton 940 was $28.00 in 1916 (movement only) all the other Hampden 18 size movements such as the John Hancock and the Special Railway 21j were all more expensive. It would have been approved at nearly all lines unless they did not allow 18 size. A few RR lines later limited selection to certain grades but that tended to happen after 1928 crash which most including Illinois and Hampden were going or gone. Hampden are under appreciated and can be picked up as bargains at times, I too have my fair share of them.

Posts: 1789 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
posted
Thanks for all the comments and information,
I guess the main thing is that I like the watch, got it for a real good price, and it will fit nicely into my collection,
Thanks again,
Bill