• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Which Watch to give to Future Son-inLaw "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
My Great Grandfater was a watchmaker, jeweler and optician shortly after the turn of the century in Philadelphia. I have several watches some of which I know some of the histories of them. I took them all to two different watchmakers, servicing the "best" for my son's wedding gift. (Elgin hunter case 14k gold case GM Wheeler grade 103 15j #5706986.)

I kept my GG father's personal watch(hamilton 14k white open face #1677054 grade 982/992 model 2 16s) and a Elgin open face Dr. watch #940750)

My question is which of the following 2 watches would be the "best" to have serviced as a gift. No. 1 My great uncles hamilton 916 14 k white gold 12s 17j 3107002 model 1. It runs fast and the regulator adj "wishbone " spring is broken or cut. I have read this was sometimes done to avoid rebuilding. It has some discoloration on the dial. I have the original box, and the hamilton warrenty card and a person note saying it was given to my G uncle in 1923.

no. 2.Waltham Royal model 1894. open face # 12599940 14k gold. it runs for a few mins and stops.

Another possibility but of poorer value is an Elgin open face 18s 7j grade 288 #14064855 model 5 class 106. silveroid case. It runs well and keeps time, The groom is tall and the 18s might look better than the 2 12s models.

Any thoughts which one should I choose and is anyone here interested in doing the work once I decide. I will try to post pictures.

Thanks,

Bernie.

spencer bernstein

Posts: 37 | Location: Massachusetts in the USA | Registered: March 16, 2018
posted
more pictures

spencer bernstein

posted
pic 3

spencer bernstein

posted
pic 4

spencer bernstein

posted
pic 5

spencer bernstein

posted
pic6

spencer bernstein

posted
hamilton 7

spencer bernstein

posted
I would go the 12 size if he is not a collector, much easier to fit in the tiny watch pockets that most jeans have now.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
posted
hamilton 8

spencer bernstein

posted
hamilton 9

spencer bernstein

posted

spencer bernstein

posted
waltham royal

spencer bernstein

posted
Sorry I messed up the pict. postings...This new to me...I agree with the 12 size...I carry the 18 and it is big. My favorite is the hamilton 922 (for me)

spencer bernstein

IHC Member 2030
posted
Great history, that is paramount.
The answer will come to you. Thanks for the pictures.
Mike

Posts: 1114 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia in the USA | Registered: February 08, 2015
posted
Mike I agree, family history is #1, and I have a house full of it, a couple of watches are a small part of it....

That being said, Which watch, the Hamilton or the Waltham is a better watch. They may be the same in terms of quality. Both need service and repair, does that factor in to watch value?

Just my rambling as I have over a year to get it done.

again thanks,

Bernie

spencer bernstein

posted
Today I received my two watches from Chris Abell after servicing. I could not be happier. The Waltham Royal looks so good I think it is my favorite. In the attached photo , the top two are from Chris. the other three I had serviced locally. The middle two are a Hamilton 992 and a Elgin Dr. Watch. The last one is a Waltham, which I gave to my son. All are running and keeping good time imho.(can't attach file, too big)

spencer bernstein

posted
Resized it, hope it works,

spencer bernstein

IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
Show him all three and ask him which one is his favorite. You don't have to tell him it will be a wedding gift just that you have a favorite and want to know which one is his favorite. That is the safest way and you know he will be happyu.

Harry

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011