Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Case Hallmark ID "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
Can anyone tell me who made this case and how many year case it is I can't seem to find any info on it. The inscription is recessed not raised.

Thanks,
Harry

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
posted
I am pretty sure it is Crescent Watch Case Co but the logo is a bit of a stumper since they usually did the Crescent moon and a star logo. Appears the patent is April 22 1879 or that would be my guess from the photo.

Posts: 1789 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
IHC Member 1610
posted
Thanks Claude,

I was looking at that also but there are I think three case companies that signed there cases C.W.C.Co. The only logo I can find like this was from the A.W.C.Co. It is a very nice case.

Thanks,
Harry

posted
The patent date corresponds to a case design by Ezra C. Fitch, issued April 22, 1879 (US Patent #214642). [ https://pocketwatchdatabase.co...nt/214642/watch-case ]

(Posting a full image of the case will help to validate this claim.)

The silver case manufacturing operations at the American Waltham Watch Company were sold to the Crescent Watch Case Company in 1890. In preparation for the transition, a mark similar to what appears in your case was trademarked by the Crescent Watch Case Company April 30, 1889 (US Trademark #16533). The documentation specifically describes the mark as consisting of “the picture or representation of a star and crescent combined with the initials A.W.W.Co., which initials are usually arranged in a semicircle over the symbols, but any other relative arrangement may be had, if desired, without materially affecting the character of the trade-mark, the essential features of which are the representation of the star and crescent combined with the initials A.W.W.Co.”

[ https://pocketwatchdatabase.co...-with-star-in-cresce ]

While the mark in your case would not be covered by this registered trademark directly, it supports an association between the Crescent Watch Case Company and the “stacked” star-over-moon design.

Posts: 49 | Location: Tennessee in the USA | Registered: February 20, 2012
IHC Member 1610
posted
Thank you Nathan, here are some additional pictures. Screw on front and back. Size 14 Bond St.

Harry

IHC Member 1610
posted
back

IHC Member 1610
posted
crown

IHC Member 1892
posted
Hi Harry. I also have a 14 sz CWCCO case but mine has a more definate crescent moon with the star above. Patient date on mine is April 16,78.My case is 3 hinged case , open face. I have a post here somewhere that shows it housing a one-off (I think) Waltham movement. Any one interested in seeing it I think could find it with the search. I guess I always assumed it was American Waltham. .

Posts: 361 | Location: Kincardine, Ontario in Canada | Registered: November 25, 2013
IHC Member 1610
posted
Hi John,

There is an A.W.W.Co hallmark that looks the same except it has A.W.W.Co. above the hallmark. As you can tell on mine it has C.W.C.Co. below it. Crescent did acquire A.W.W.Co. and I guess dropped the A.W.W.Co. initials. I was hoping someone would know if it was a GF'd, GP'd, brass, or solid gold.

Thanks,
Harry