Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton Traffic Special "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I came across a watch in an antique store while driving back from Knoxville that I'd like an opinion on.

It was marked 'Hamilton Traffic Special', was in a chrome case, but fronted a 17j Swiss unadjusted movement.

I'm positive it was one of the 'Hamilton' watches that came out in either the 70's or 80's (like the 992 re-introduction), but have never seen one like this. It was a nice looking watch.

Clean movement, and reminded me of a Unitas manufacture.

Anyway, price was $170.

Good? Bad? Indifferent? Confused

What did I stumble across? No, I didn't pick it up, as I just didn't know enough about it one way or the other.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
Hi Mark,

Probably a little pricey for a Swiss version. While they are very decent and reliable, They'll likely never be as valuable as the original US made Hamilton, of which many exist.

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Thanks, William.

It was nice, but like I said, I had no clue what I was holding, so had nothing to compare it to. It did compare nicely to the 992B I was carrying at the time dial wise.

Thanks again!

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Hello Mark:

I believe the Hamilton "Traffic Special" were introduced earlier in the 1950s, and were replacements for the market the grades 978, and 974 Special were used for the interurban railways being an adjusted to 3 position watch. At the time of the introduction of the Traffic Special interurban railways were in decline, and this type of watch was marketed for bus drivers, and other such employees that did not have to live up to railway watch inspection standards.

Larry

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Thanks Larry! Smile

Regards! Mark