• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Illinois staff help "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi, folks! I'm am a low budget collector who haunts EBay for non-running or "tries to run" movements, then seek out cases for them. I have learned to service them, replace mainsprings, etc, but my tools & skills are limited! A while back I bought a "Clinton" watch for it's 16s case, without seeing the movement (case back was stuck) and when I received it discovered it was a private label Illinois model 7, ser. no. 2452682. Sadly, the balance staff is broken! Since private labels are my weakness I was wondering if I could find someone here to repair it. I've contacted Cleveland Watch Repair & gotten an estimate of $200.00, but I really can't justify paying that much even though I know that's probably reasonable. Any advice, O Wise Ones?

Posts: 42 | Location: Columbiana, Alabama in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2018
IHC Member 785
posted
I have had Paul Davis replace staffs and do other work. He is very good and helps 185 members.Go to IHC185™ Members Business Directory to get his information,

Harv

Posts: 158 | Location: Sacramento, California USA | Registered: June 26, 2006
Picture of Billy Kuhn
posted
Rick I can staff the watch for you if that is all it needs. Most of the time they will need to be service COA. You may call me at 256-366-7930

Posts: 1012 | Location: Killen, Alabama in the USA | Registered: January 15, 2013
posted
Billy, when is a good time to call?

Posts: 42 | Location: Columbiana, Alabama in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2018
posted
Billy Kuhn, I've tried several times to call you. Can I email you?

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
I might caution each of you with putting your personal contact info on this forum since its in the publics eye and anyone can see it.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
posted
Call Paul Davis his information is in the business directory. You will be glad you did....

Posts: 54 | Location: Rolesville, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2017
IHC Member 1701
posted
Call Rob Carter 423-378-4607 or go to pocketwatchrepairs.net

Posts: 38 | Location: Maryville, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: July 07, 2011
posted
Thanks for the help, folks. I'll be sending my watch to Paul next week. Between learning about him and discovering a photo of a gentleman who snaps his apron under the edge of his bench the 12 dollars to join was the best money I've spent on my watch habit in a while! In fact, my wife has already ordered me an apron. I think she's tired of those "Oh crap!" moments that usually find her crawling around my feet!

posted
You cant do wrong with sending your watch to Paul Davis. He is great at COA's and repairs, I have sent him 5 watches so far for repairs and am very happy with his service and communication. He's the only person I use.

Posts: 20 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: January 08, 2018