Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

New to Me Lancaster PW "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 2134
posted
Hi Folks,

I just got a nice Lancaster lever set, stem wind 18S hunter cased pocket watch. The Guide to Watches doesn't shed much light on it.

The serial number is 187742. The only other engraving on the plate is 'Patent Pending' and 'Lancaster, PA'. So I'm at a loss on the model name, if any, and the number of jewels.

The dial is perfect as is the coin silver case with the exception of a tiny dent on the side of the front cover.

The Pocket Watch Database has little information - the production year of 1886 and that's about it.

Sorry about the photos - the case is highly polished and it's like trying to take a picture of a mirror.

Anybody have some information on it?

Mort Denison

Posts: 175 | Location: York, Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 27, 2016
IHC Member 2134
posted
Front

Mort Denison

Posts: 175 | Location: York, Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 27, 2016
IHC Member 2134
posted
Back

Mort Denison

IHC Member 2134
posted
Open

Mort Denison

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Very nice example! If you do a search here on Lancaster, you might find some more useful info on these.
A Lancaster is what started my interest in pocket watches. I had one left by my Grandfather, that was in less that fair condition. But Dave Abbe saved it for me.
As I understand it, these were probably a few notches above dollar watches for the time. Not very expensive compared to most brands.
Would be helpful to see a picture of the movement.
edit: looks like I jumped the gun. (Waiting for movement picture)

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Member 2134
posted
Case

Mort Denison

IHC Member 2134
posted
Movement

Mort Denison

IHC Member 2134
posted
Hey Dave - you type faster than I can post Razz

Mort Denison

IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
That is in beautiful condition. Nice 7 jewel movement. Very Clean! Lancaster started business Sept. 1, 1877 and by mid 1878 had produced about 150 watches. between Sept, 1877 and March 1886 the company's name changed 3 times. In April 1886 The Keystone Standard Watch Co. took over the Lancaster Watch Co. and lasted until November 1890 before it failed. In December 1892 Hamilton Watch Co. purchased the facility and machinery and started producing watches in 1893. My understanding about the Lancaster and Keystone serial numbers is that they did not necessarily run in chronological order.

Both Lancaster and Keystone both produced cheaper watches but when Hamilton opened they started producing high quality watches and Hamilton lasted until 1970.

Harry

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
IHC Member 2134
posted
Thanks, folks. There's not much info out there about Lancaster. It appears they went through some tough times. It's keeping near RR time so far. I'll give it a week though.

Mort Denison

posted
Nice one Mort , The Lancaster club is lonely , I think they are worth the effort , they make a few with nickel plates and 20j ,I believe. I have one in an identical case you posted and a keywind(thanks Paul Davis) . The lack of interest stems from the short time in business , with the end result of Hamilton purchasing them, probably for the equipment or plant.

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015