Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Toronto Watch Company "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1613
posted
Anyone know anything about this watch...Checked the Hampden pocket watch data base and no help..When thru the Hampden Book and again nothing.. Just wanted to know how many watches Hampden made labeled the Toronto Watch Company...

Posts: 2007 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
IHC Member 1613
posted
Picture of dial...

Posts: 2007 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
IHC Member 1555
posted
A Hampden private label Gary for S.P Skleiser, the picture below might shed more light for you.

Posts: 2265 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
posted
Gary,
In the Gold Book it lists a Toronto Watch Co. Ca: 1882. It shows only a 18s 11 jewel.
Don't know if it is the same as yours, but the date on the receipt that Bila shows is also 1882.
Is your movement a Hunter or Open faced mvmt ?
For what its worth.
Bill

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
IHC Member 1555
posted
As for the amount made I have not a clue Gary, this is a Springfield Grade. Low quality and heaps made, but I have only seen a few American Made watches with this moniker on, but I have seen a few more Swiss manufactured watches with the name.

Posts: 2265 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
It is a Model 1, which is KWKS Bill. Therefore it could be used as either.

A PL for S.P. Kleiser Bila.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Member 1613
posted
Bill I see Buster answered your question...I will probably end up putting it in a hunter case...

Bila,
I have read everything I could find about the Toronto W C on this group and the internet but there really isn't much...I was a little interested in the 17 marking on the m/s barrel bridge...I am guessing that it was just a barrel bridge that they used from left over parts from New York Watch company..I have had the watch apart and all numbers match on the plates...I guess I will just have to keep looking and see if I can find anything else out about this watch...Thanks all for your input..

IHC Member 1110
posted
Gary, I may be wrong but I'm not sure Hampden was making anything with 17 jewels back when that movement was made.It does look like a factory mark though.As you said that plate could have come from another watch, but I've never heard of a 17J key wind Hampden.That's got to be a pretty scarce one!

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
posted
I have a Toronto in a silver hunter , Hampden 405655 , keywind , no jewel count . When I purchased this one they also had one I could not identify the maker , I posted it here and we decided it was swiss , and I lost the Hampden picture while resizing

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
posted
Hampden dial

posted
this is the swiss dial , the auctions were posted a few hours apart and the swiss toronto went for considerably more

posted
I was looking at Bila's receipt , it was for a longines and warranted 5 years if I read it right , that is a considerable warranty for 1890

IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
Gary's watch looks like a Hampden for sure but I do not believe it is 17 jewels. I do not know what the 17 is stamped on there fore but I do not see any jewels which leads me to believe it is a 7 jewel movement.

As for Kevin's watch it is not a Hampden. I do not know what it is but it is not a Hampden. It looks nothing like Gary's watch to me.

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
posted
Hi Harry , My last post may not have made sense , I was stating that there where 2 torontos for sale , one was swiss , I bought the hampden . The pictures got out of order when posting , I still am unable to post the hampden , there is something whacky with picassa