Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton 990 dial question "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
Anyone know if a Roman numeral dial would be correct for a 990

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
IHC Member 1555
posted
Depends what serial number for date of production Gary, they were making 990 Grade as early as 1903 I think.

So if it is that early there would be no reason it could not have a roman numeral dial on it to my knowledge. Would need a serial number to shorten the odds a bit to be more positive.

Someone with a bit more knowledge on Hamilton's might be able to enlighten you more. Wink

Posts: 2265 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
Bila may be right but to my knowledge a Hamilton 990 was RRG and RRA so I think it would have been required to have a Arabic numbered dial buy the RR's.

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hi Gary,

Both Bila and Harry are providing good information.

According to the Ehrhardt Hamilton Book the Hamilton 990 came in Lever-Set configuration from 1903 through 1919 with an approximate total of 16,489 produced. The 990 being Railroad grade would have been advertised with Arabic Numerals but other dials were also available.

After the turn of the Twentieth Century we tend to associate Roman Dials more with Pendant-Set and/or Hunter Movements. Generally speaking earlier watches are the most likely to have Roman Dials.

Please do always provide the movement number so that we can give you more conclusive responses.

We are shooting in the dark without that movement number to verify year of production here...

Hamilton Movement Number Listings Preserved by John F. Gelson

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
Thanks guys, watch is currently in safety deposit box, I'll have to get it out, although I suspect the dial has been replaced

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
posted
To my knowledge based on looking at ads and sales catalogs nearly all companies in the late 1800's and early 1900's offered a diverse selection of dials for the user to select from, some with no extra cost and some at extra cost. Just because a watch is RRG or RRA does not mean that it was used for rail service nor that the owner was compelled to put an Arabic numeral dial on it. I honestly think few watches are original because previous owners probably made changes to fit into their likes or interpretation on what "correct" was or is. If I see a nice grade 214 with a beautiful glass dial on it, I won't get upset or tell the owner it isn't correct because I know at the time of the 214 production glass dials were offered by Elgin at extra cost. As the wristwatch became more popular these dial offerings ceased, so if I see a Elgin 571 or a Hamilton 992B with a Roman numeral dial then I can definitely say it is incorrect because it was not offered by the company. In the time frame mentioned some people preferred the Roman numeral look because that is what most clocks used. I think in the future you will see a lot of 992Bs with incorrect enamel dials on them because the melamine dials are falling apart at a rapid rate.
In the case of my lever set grade 150 it has a Roman numeral dial on it and it is RRG and RRA but the dial has red 5 min markers and was offered by Elgin as an option when the watch was produced. BTW the 990 is a beautiful movement I have several and got them at good prices because some collectors will pass them over for the 992 which is strange because the 990 is a better movement than the 992.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009