WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Ball-Elgin ORRS hunter case movements 17 or 21 jewels "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Aloha, I am very interested in learning if any more Elgin Ball ORRS hunter case watches, 17 or 21 jewels, have been discovered other than the single specimen identified in Mr. Lindell Riddle's post dated September 26, 2008 contained in a new topic started by Mr. James Shutts dated September 24, 2008.

That discussion topic was entitled "18s Ball Elgin hunter-ever seen one?"

Mahalo nui, Fred

Posts: 106 | Location: Honolulu, Hawaii in the USA | Registered: June 12, 2016
IHC Member 1110
posted
Welcome aboard Fred!....Ted.

Posts: 1322 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Member 2030
posted
Welcom mr Fred
It looks like you are focused.
On a niche!
Good luck to you Smile

Posts: 1114 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia in the USA | Registered: February 08, 2015
posted
Mahalo Ted and Mike for your welcome. I feel privileged to be a member of the Internet Horological Club 185. Thank you so much for your well wishes. Please have a great day. Aloha,

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Aloha Bruddah Fred, nice to see another "Hawaiian" on the site and welcome aboard. I was born and raised there and grew up in Kailua, I'm sure you know where that is. Anyway, have fun here, this is one great "ohana".

Bruddah Midds

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
posted
Brudda Midds, Aloha and thank you for your greeting. Aloha Kakahiaka! Yes, glad to know there are some other Hawaiians in the club. I grew up in Kailua and still own that home. Lived by Kalapuai Market. I am very pleased to be part of the IHC185 ohana for sure. Mahalo, Fred

posted
Hi and welcome Fred , It would appear that hunter cased ball elgin's in general are rare. This is a link to a comercial standard 16 jewel in a current auction,where it is described as 1 out of a run of 1000

https://jones-horan.hibid.com/.../?sort=2&ref=catalog

[Auction description: "Ball Elgin, hunting grade 327 class 118 model 10 Commercial Standard, 18S, GF OF recased HC, SW-LS in agreement with Elgin database, WE-SSD, lever escapement, 16J, bull's-eye pattern NI damascene, s#11956143, the 143rd watch of only 1000 produced in a single lot."]

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
posted
Aloha Kevin, thank you so much for your post and the information regarding the Jones and Horan auction. I will study the watch and consider it. They also have an Open face Elgin 21 jewel Ball up for auction as well. Condition may be an issue for me though. Again, I really appreciate your post. Mahalo nui, Fred

posted
I have a Grade 333 17j myself, but like was said above the Grade 333 21j and the hunter case variant of the 333 are exceedingly difficult to find if i remember right the 21j open face is a 1 star watch and the hunter case variant is a 3 star.

Posts: 30 | Location: North Texas in the USA | Registered: March 08, 2012
IHC Life Member
Picture of Donald Trumble
posted
Unfortunately, the one shown at J&H is the far lesser grade "Commercial Standard" which was NOT a RR Grade.

I have seen Lindell's Official Standard "ORRS" Ball Elgins including his hunters.

Don

Posts: 504 | Location: Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: April 02, 2005
posted
Aloha Donald, thank you for your post. I would love to see Lindell's Elgin Ball collection as you have. I am sure I would be appropriately impressed. But to dream!! Anyway I am still looking for a clean 21J for my collection. I suppose patience is the best approach and one may come along. Again, Donald, thanks for your post, mahalo, Fred