Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton 940 PL ? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
I just picked up this Hamilton 940. Very different looking. It was made in 1910 and sold to Rettig **** & Madsen , Chicago. It is in a run of 1000. It has the wrong dial on it and is probably an original replacement dial as it is a DS "Hamilton" in block letters. I have a "Hamilton" in script dial to put on it but is this a private label and does it require a PL dial or is the person it was sold to one of the Hamilton distribution dealers that would resale them to the smaller jewelry store or to individuals? I have seen this pattern occasionally but was never able to win the bid. Any information would be appreciated

Harry.

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
IHC Member 1610
posted

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
First, what is the serial number ?

It appears to be 651415.

Second, where did you get your info on Date of Manufacture, and who it was sold to ? That info appears to be incorrect.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Member 1555
posted
If that serial number that Buster has posted in the previous post is correct Harry, the movement you have there was in a bunch of 23 movements sold to the same Dealer in Los Angeles.

It went to the Hamilton finishing department on the 12-11-1909 and sold on the 12-13-1909, so definitely looks like a special order job and quiet possibly had a standard Hamilton marked dial but probably in script font in my opinion. I think it was sold to a Luckenbach with a Special finish as were the other 22 of them.

Posts: 2260 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
That's correct, the 23 watches were sold to Luchenbach & Co. in Los Angeles, Ca.

Mr John Luchenbach was a prominent jeweler and proprietor of the shop at 1029 Alvarado St., Route 2, Los Angeles, Ca, one block off the Sunset Strip. Mr Luchenbach had a watch inspector, a H.H. Paulson of Los Angeles, Ca. for Luchenbach & Co.

Speculation says they were all "special order" with the engraved pattern. Until we see "Luchenbach & Co." 18sz Hamilton dials, we will speculate they were just signed "Hamilton" in script.

The Luchenbach's were prominent folks in Ca. and even so until today.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Member 1555
posted
Looks like also that "Luckenbach & Co" was a Jeweler/ Watch Inspector establishment. There is a mention of "Luckenbach & Co" having a "H.Paulson" working for them as a Watch Time Inspector for the Southern Pacific Railroad.

IHC Member 1555
posted
Sorry Buster, was typing as you were postingSmile

IHC Member 1610
posted
Thank you Buster and Bila. I apologize for leaving out the serial number. I was going to list it but forgot. SN is 651415. I got the information out of Roy Ehrhardt Hamilton Hand Written Serial Numbers book. It did not break down the run it was just showing the whole run of 1000 sold to Rettig in Chicago. Lasser's List breaks it down further but I do not have that list nor can I find a copy.

Thank you both for the additional information on the watch. I don't know if Luckenbach had a special dial or not. Since he did not have his name or "Special" on the movement then it may have just had "Hamilton" in script for a dial. That would be my preference anyway.

Thanks again to both of you for the help,
Harry