Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

1st Run Hamilton grade 941 "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1183
posted
I recently acquired a private label Hamilton 941 in a nice hunter recase. After further inspection I realized that I have a first run 941: serial number 43,114 (first run range is 43,001-43,300).

I know that being a first run movement can increase the value for some watches, but is there a premium for a first run 941?

Thanks for your response,

Barry

Posts: 2121 | Location: St. Peters, Missouri in the USA | Registered: September 17, 2008
Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
Yes. Hamilton collectors and first-run collectors are on the lookout for any such early movement. Of course some first runs are worth more than others. Here the premium for first run is for me pretty much offset by the re-case.

kh

Posts: 921 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: March 25, 2013
IHC Member 1736
posted
Barry,

From my perspective, condition is far more important than first run.

I sold a 7J Elgin in a 5yr case last year for $300.

The price was driven by condition and totally changed the way I shop.

21 Ruby Jewels with a patent motor barrel gets my attention far faster than an early serial number.

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Barry please post some of your "patented" excellent pictures Smile We would like to see which of the Hamilton "variant" styles was on the 114th one made.

This early single roller watch was a 1 watch shipment to prominent jeweler I.O. Glazier of Greeley, CO. in Weld County. It was finished 4/4/1899 and shipped 5/2/1899. There were 26,704 TOTAL PRODUCTION of the Grade 941's made.

While a prominent businessman and jeweler, Mr. Glazier was also a dedicated patriot. His WW1 Patriotic Song, "The Call of the Sammies" was published in 1918 and Mr Glazier was the creator, publisher, copyrighted, and is in the Library of Congress. Bibliographic Information;

http://www.loc.gov/resource/ihas.200204261.0/?sp=1

The I.O. Glazier Home built in 1902 at 1403 9th Avenue in Greeley, CO. remains standing today and is listed in the National Register. [see attachment]

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Member 1183
posted
Thanks for your input. If fact, the dial and movement are both signed "I.O. Glazier, Greeley, Colo."

Posts: 2121 | Location: St. Peters, Missouri in the USA | Registered: September 17, 2008
IHC Member 1183
posted

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Now that's a real piece of history without a doubt. Any dedications on the case ??

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
posted
Like Paul said condition is a lot , a good market helps , I would be contacting the owners of the house ! It is very nice looking ,original case , nice dial and hands , and enough jewels to make the queen blush !

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
IHC Member 1183
posted
The case is not original to the movement and has no personalization or presentation. I just listed this watch on my website with additional photos.

Barry

Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
A true private-label watch, ie., not a dealer-label watch, even though he was a jeweler. Only one watch was made with his name on it, if we take the records to be correct that BB looked at, and one of a kind is one of a kind.

If I'm a Colorado private-label and/or dealer-label collector, I might want this one at the right price.

kh

Posts: 921 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: March 25, 2013