Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Need a translation please. "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
I don't know what language this is to try and translate it. On the curvet ot has on the left dide an engraved stamp with the profile of a queen that says kant ausstellung thun 1899 and in the middle says 10 Rubis and on the right it says thun 1899. I know what the 10 Rubis means but the other does not make since to me so I must be translating it from the wrong language. It translates to "Kant Exibition do 1899". If this translation is correct the "do" does not make since to me.

Thanks,
Harry

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
IHC Life Member
posted
Thun is a city in Switzerland.
Regards,
Bob

Posts: 218 | Location: Oak Harbor, Washington in the USA | Registered: May 21, 2009
IHC Member 1610
posted
Thank you Bob. This must be a Swiss watch then and it must meas "Kant Exhibition of Thun 1899" or something similar.

Thanks again Bob,
Harry

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
The internet is your friend:

Try this Translate

All you do is go to the net, type in translate, and you can convert most any language.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Thun is a pretty city at the northwestern end of a long lake, the "Thuner See," on the northern periphery of the Bernese Oberland -- one of the choicest stretches of the Alps. Here's how it looked when I last was there a few years ago.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
IHC Member 1610
posted
Thank you Dave but don't you need to know what language it is that you are translating? I did do that but for some reason it put "do" in there which did not make since to me. But if I substitute "of" for "do" it makes since.

Harry

IHC Member 1610
posted
Ethan that is a beautiful picture thank you for sharing.

Harry

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Harry, All I did was copy the original language and copied it in the first box, which was then detected as the German language. And it gave me:
kant exhibition thun 1899
Not sure I understand the of and do part?

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Member 1610
posted
Oh I did the same thing I guess I used a different site and it said "kant exhibition do thun 1899". The "do" was throwing me off. I just made up a word to replace "do" that made since to me and I chose "of" since it had the same number of letters and it seemed to fit and make since to me. Not very scientific but it worked for me. I was on my cell phone and I don't know what translation site it was using. I find the cell phone does not do as good of a job searching as my computer.

Thanks Dave,
Harry