Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

When did a Hamilton movement get the dial? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
I have a question about 18s Hamilton dial selection. I have an 18s Hamilton 15828 that according to the Pocket Watch Data base (Lot of bad info on that site so this info may or may not be correct) went to the finishing department in 1900 but was not finished until 1903 and was not sold until 1916. It has the wrong dial for a 1900 movement but has the correct dial for a 1916 movement. A 1900 or a 1903 Hamilton should have a "Hamilton Watch Co." in script dial but this watch has a "Hamilton" in script dial which would be correct for 1916. This movement would not have had the grade on the movement for 1900 or 1903 but this one has the grade inscribed I assume since that was the rules for 1916.

What are your opinions. I was going to put a "Hamilton Watch Co." dial on it and then I got to thinking about it being sold in 1916.

Thanks,
Harry

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
IHC Member 1555
posted
Disregard the info in my original post Harry (new edit below).

I found the ledger page, definitely sold in 1917, so in my opinion should fine with a Block font "Hamilton" signed dial.

Posts: 2265 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
IHC Member 1555
posted
Looks like there were a stack of 939's in sequential serial numbers (including your example) sold to A.N Anderson in 1917.

I think he was a Railroad Time Inspector, I read somewhere in the records he purchased a large amount of discontinued 18 Size Hamilton movements at heavily discounted prices in and around 1917.

So maybe it originally had his own signed dial and not a Hamilton signed one at all???

Posts: 2265 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
IHC Member 1357
posted
Harry, I would go with the Hamilton Watch Co. in script being as the s/n is a early one. Regardless
of when it was sold. Just my two cents.
Glad you got this one. I was bidding on it but not enough. Good Buy!

Roger

Posts: 4093 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
Thank you Bila and Roger. I bid on this one because it was marked. I have had two other 939's from this final run of 939's and neither one was marked with 5 positions or 939. I read that from 1906 until 1920 watches that were adjusted to 5 positions had to be marked on the movement and the grade also would have had to be put on the movement. The other two 939's from this run were sold before 1906 so neither was marked with grade or number of positions.

I have A.N.Anderson dials on movements before also. Now whether all movements sold by A.N. Anderson had his PL dial on it or not I do not know.

I thought I had a A.N. Anderson dial but I don't know if it was a 16s or an 18s but either way I can not find it so I must have sold it.

As much as I would like to put a Hamilton Watch Co. dial in script on this I think I should leave it like it is as this dial is appropriate for the markings on the movement.

Thanks again Bila and Roger,

Harry

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011