Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Need some info on an Illinois 18s watch. "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
While I am waiting to see if anyone has an updated version of the Illinois CD because I can not get my 2007 to work on my Windows 8.1 I need some infor on an 18s Illinois. I don't trust the Pocket Watch data base as there are way too many mistakes in it.

I need any info on an 18s Illinois open face PL serial number 1129522. It is stamped 15 Jewel has a simple regulator on the cock and is signed Jacob Ramser, Rock Island, Ill. Anyone know what grade or how many were made. The pocket Watch data base says it is a Hunter which it is not and says it is a Model 2 and only 900 were made. The data base also says it is a grade 101 1/2-s (whatever that is). It is either a model 4 or 6 I don't know if it is pendant set or lever set. I am sorry I don't have any pictures as I do not own the watch and it belongs to a friend and he has asked me if I could find out anything about it. I don't know if Illinois had ledgers or not.

Thanks,
Harry

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
posted
Harry,
I do not have the CD, but do have the Blue book.
There it states that ser# 1129522 is:
18s, O Lver set, Grade 101 1/2 S, Mdl 3, 11 jewel, 100 in run numbers 1129501 - 1129600.
For what its worth,
Bill

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
IHC Member 1610
posted
Thank you Bill. Well He did send me a couple of pictures although not very good. He says he has checked all the numbers and they match. It is definitely not a model 3 and the serial number is 1129522. I will post what I have but may be hard to see.

IHC Member 1610
posted

IHC Member 1610
posted

IHC Member 1610
posted

IHC Member 1610
posted
Looks to be a pendant set but unsure as you can not see a clear picture of the cut out.

IHC Member 1555
posted
Database CD says that it is a Open Face, Model 3, 11 Jewel Grade 101 1/2 or 101 1/2 S, so pretty much as Bill said Harry.

Total Production on the CD says 1,350 all in very small runs of 50-200 maximum pretty much. I think the 11 Jewel is a typo in the CD info as the photo they have listed there shows a marking of 15 Jewels all so.

Posts: 2265 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
IHC Member 1555
posted
Forgot the production era Harry, it is 1892 Big Grin

IHC Member 1555
posted
Be interesting to lift that dial Harry, a lot of those bezel set jewel models were not jeweled on the dial plate side, especially in the lower to mid-grade P/L models.

IHC Member 1555
posted
Interesting watch Harry, I thought that being an open face would be a 5th Pinion from that time frame, but it is not.

Also looking at that lever slot I can not see a lever, so looks like a newer production model of the 101 1/2 Grade, so probably will be jeweled on that dial side.

IHC Member 1610
posted
Thanks Bila he said he checked under the dial or that was my understanding anyway. I will double check but as you can see in the picture it is not a model 3.

Could this be another brand made for them by Illinois? Using the other brands serial number system? I know Independent used Illinois movements and used Independents name on the movement. Did anyone else use Illinois movements? I doubt this is a likely conclusion but so far the CD and the Blue book and the Pocket Watch Data base are all wrong on this movement.

I will verify with my friend tomorrow if he checked under the dial. I have seen movements marked with the wrong jewel count before.

Thanks again,
Harry

IHC Member 1555
posted
Definitely an Illinois Watch Co, actually probably a Model 4 looking at it Harry, some of the early ones had bezel set jewels to my knowledge.

Just going through the blue book Bill had mentioned and I notice the same Jeweller has a couple of watches specially mentioned, in both 16-18 sizes, the 18 with a dial marked as "Rock Island Line Special". Wink

IHC Member 1610
posted
Hi Bila,

Yes my friend says this jewel has other 16 and 18s movements made for him. My friend is just trying to figure out why this watch is not listed in any reference material. Since all the reference material we have seen so far is incorrect as to this watch unless someone has a ledger or some other material listing this watch I guess it will remain a mystery.

Thanks for all your help,
Harry