Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton 974 Special "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1357
posted
Just got this movt marked 974 Special,17jewels,adj.3pos.double roller s/n2547763 ca.1934.Itis in a Hamilton Star case all numbers match on bezel,frame and cover.Upon looking up the srial# it ststes it is pendant set but it is clearly a lever set.I believe the dial to be a "HA"dial and the case to be a model 16 and do you think the hands are correct? Any input is appreciated Regards Roger

Posts: 4093 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
IHC Member 1357
posted
back

IHC Member 1357
posted
showing lever

IHC Member 1357
posted
case edge

IHC Member 1357
posted
iside case

IHC Member 1357
posted
movt

Picture of Richard Romero
posted
Roger,
Nice looking watch. If the case is gold filled then it's considered a "Traffic Special" case. The rolled gold case is a model No. 16.
The hands look nice with the dial. Whether they're correct is hard to determine. Hamilton catalogs show the watch with a different style of hands but if the hands on your watch were available when the watch was originally purchased it's possible they're correct.
RR

Hamilton Catalog from 1935

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
posted
Below: Hamilton Catalog 1938

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I am curious, I notice the movement has the blued screw & I would assume the J hook attached to it that the pendant set watches of Hamilton have like the 950. Were these then converted at the factory to lever set? I am not certain about the name of the screw & hook.

Thanks
Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Member 1357
posted
Thanks Richard,the case is gold filled.Tom,thanks to you I noticed it does have a blued screw in it although I don't know the signiface of this.Does anyone know? I take it that this watch is original in it's present state.Thanks Roger

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I believe the blue screw & the J hook if turned locked the watch in the wind only mode, at least for the pendant set watch which only had these. I thought it was there for watch service purposes, so it could be put into the winding position while out of the case. Another post suggested it was there to make a pendant set watch usable on the railroad, since once that was turned you couldn't change the time.

I don't know if either of these are what the original purpose was.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
I like those hands. At least even the seconds hand matches. I have a 974 that is pendent set from 1921 and marked adjusted, but not a "Special" as that was later on. I've posted the movement for comparison.

Roland

R. Glenn

Posts: 437 | Location: Ryde, Isle of Wight, United Kingdom | Registered: January 18, 2010
Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
And here is the dial side of the movement.

R. Glenn

Posts: 437 | Location: Ryde, Isle of Wight, United Kingdom | Registered: January 18, 2010
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Excellent topic, great information!

The watch that Roger posted is a good looking, original combination.

Those hands were used on "Traffic Specials" and other Hamilton watches in the late 1920s and early 1930s as well as some 992B examples during WWII shortages in the 1942 time-frame. Now to the case, many collectors will recognize these for what they would become in later years... as Richard said the Traffic Special case shown on the catalog pages he supplied in this topic was Gold-Filled, that is Roger's case, then later, in 1951 they reused the same dies to make the Case 16 for 992B movements and those were "Rolled-Gold-Plate" cases. Hamilton used the Case 16 until the end of 992B production, they ended up getting a lot of use out of that design!

Finally, that blued screw is as Tom suspected related to the "j-hook" or "clevis" as Hamilton called it, to lock out setting for servicing on Pendant-Set movements. When movements that started out like Roland's were factory-converted from Pendant-Set to Lever-Set there is still a blued screw, but then it is non-functional. This was true of Hamilton "pre-B" movements, on the 992B a similar-looking blued screw holds the setting-lever in place.

Topics like this add to our collective knowledge, thanks guys!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 1357
posted
Thanks everyone.I take it that Mr.Movt. and Mrs Case have been together a long time and after all this time still make a fine and functional match! Although Mrs.Case could use another crystal as hers is missing.Oh,and bow needs attention as it really flops around. But,who am I to talk all of my parts are not perfect either,even at my tender age of 66!! Big Grin

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Strange.... very strange Confused

I stopped for a moment from trying to learn how to use a new digital camera [ I needed a break !!]

I looked at two 974 lever~set watches one early and one later vintage and neither had the blue screws. Then I looked at two 974 Specials, lever~set, and they both have the blue screws Eek

Now I have used this method successfully when buying on-line and when the seller didn't show a picture of the dial with the bezel off, to allow me to know whether the watch was lever~set or pendant~set by looking for that little blue screw. No blue screw/lever~set. Blue screw/pendant~set. And that has worked OK with the 992's and the 950's......

So I am left scratching my head Eek So I am thinking ALL of the 974 Special's whether lever~set OR pendant~set they must ALL have the blue screws Confused

Gentlemen start your engines, let's hear it from the 974 Special owners. I don't have a 974 Special in the pendant~set so bring 'em out and let's see what can be learned here Confused

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
posted
Here are my two 974s, the "Special" is 110 numbers away from Roger's and is lever set. The 974 is pendant set and, incidentally, has a broken regulator spring whose replacement I haven't found yet.

Both have the blue screw, but, while in the 974 its function is to lock the clutch in the winding position for servicing, in the 974 Special it is used simply to plug the hole. Hamilton used the same machining set up for the barrell bridges of both models.

Posts: 192 | Location: Vicenza in Italy | Registered: February 04, 2009
IHC Member 1357
posted
Peter,it looks as if your "Special"and my "Special" have the same hands and dial.What is your serial no. Thanks Roger

posted
HI Roger,the serial number of the 974 is 1078256 and the 974 Special is 2547653, that makes it 110 numbers away from yours. Now I have something to confess that will horrify the purists..when I received the "Special" it had the same dial as yours but with the spade hands, instead of diamond.

Then I got the 974 with diamond hands and a beautiful Monty dial. I looked at the two side by side and decided that a Monty dial was more suited to a lever set, adjusted to 3 positions,"Special" watch...so I swapped the dials and what you see above is the result.

Naturally under threat everything can be put back the way it was. I also like the 974 Special case, the back of which you can see below

Regards
Peter

posted
Peter,

Nice looking case. I'm not a purist but like to see correct examples. Now that you've confessed it's time to do the right thing. The dials should be returned to their original movements. I would keep the hands with the dials they're on but you could probably go either way.

Thanks for being truthful about switching as it's a controversial issue.

RR

IHC Member 1357
posted
Peter,beautiful watches.Thanks for posting them and thanks for the s/n info.Roger

posted
Thanks Roger...

Richard,

I knew my "confession" would have raised eyebrows in some quarters,but, believe me, I'm a serious American pocket watch collector and the last thing I would do is to create "frankenwatches".

I also DO NOT sell watches, everything I have will stay with me till the end of my life, so, if I change something it is for my own pleasure and not to fool somebody into paying a higher price like I've seen done on ebay by some unscrupulous merchants.

I'm also proud to say that, thanks to my watch-repairing skills, scores of pocketwatches that were deemed by their sellers "spare or repair" were brought back to life and some day will be out there to be appreciated again... together with two 974s in their original configuration.

Regards
Peter

IHC Member 1357
posted
Peter, I agree with you,there is no intent to decieve,only to enjoy!! Regards Roger

posted
Peter,
Glad to hear the 974's will be original. It's great you bring watches back to running condition. I like fixing them too when possible. Many of the non-running watches I've purchased have been relatively easy to fix but occasionally someone previously has done too much damage. It's an enjoyable hobby for sure.
RR