Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

New Hand Blueing Method "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
An easy way to blue hands i have tried many ways found this easy
Preperation sand with 1200 wet and dry then5000 using penertrating oil both times then with a small peice of chamois rub hands using an aluminium polish will give them a mirror polish
I then heat up an old base metal case with front bezel removed and 6mm of fine sand in it on a gas stove top on burner center check temperature with infa red thermometer and place hands on bed of fine sand leaving a slight air gap near tip of hand when getting near required temperature hands come up perfect can remove hands quickly to check colour then put back in if need more

Posts: 68 | Location: New South Wales, Australia | Registered: June 21, 2015
posted
Picture of reblued hans dark patch on end of minute hand is shaddow

posted
Should have added i polish them on an anvil block with a screwdrive or something in a suitable hole to steady the hands and rinse them in alcohol and dry with cotton bud before bluing

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hey Jeff,

They look Smile beautiful, nice work.

What an ingenious blend of old-time methods and state-of-the art temperature control.

Your attention to fine detail assures success!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 1110
posted
Really nice work Jeff!They do look great.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008