Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

How do you remove Howard 9 mainspring. "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
Ok I'm having trouble removing the ratchet (mainspring)wheel of my model 9 Howard 16sz. I've taken the 3 screws out. But it does not raise up like on a bun special.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
posted
Hi Eugene , I don't know the answer , but wondered if you had all the tension released from the mainspring ?

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks Kevin.not my first rodeo.

IHC Member 1555
posted
Long time since I touched one Gene but from memory lift the barrel bridge with the barrel still attached, but be careful you do not lose that jewel doing it, very easy to forget it is still there and they will fall out unexpectedly.

Now you can first remove the lower part of the barrel will now come off with the mainspring inside of it. You will have the barrel bridge and the upper part of the barrel still attached. From memory this unscrews (I think, I stand to be corrected as it has been a very long time), by now locking the winding wheel thus allowing it to separate from the bridge.

A lot of people will not even disassemble that upper barrel piece from the bridge it is the proverbial pain in the you know whatSmile

Posts: 2264 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Good advice Bila, your reference to "...lot of people will not even disassemble that upper barrel piece from the bridge..." also applies to the later Sangamo and Bunn Specials which use a similar construction.

As the years pass removing and replacing tiny screws becomes more of a problem Frown and I have reached the point in life where I like to avoid problems Roll Eyes to the greatest extent possible.

Be well my friends,

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
Thank you Billa. I disassemble the complete watch to change a mainspring.
It will not clear the center gear.

Darn I was not wanting to do that

Picture of Brian C.
posted
Lindell, I'm the same way. Are the screws getting smaller, or are we getting older? Smile Smile

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
Back running.